What's new

How do you remove decals from a boat?

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I searched the forum and couldn't find anything related to this.

I'm looking for the proper chemical to remove old decals from a Cobalt boat hull. I was thinking about using the ZEP decal remover, but wanted to check with some of you chemical guys to make sure I wouldn't be destroying any part of the gelcoat or fiberglass on the boat. Or would simply using Goo Gone work?

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Depends On Decal

Most decals are self-adhesive; even marine decals. A heat gun or even a hair blow-dryer will work to soften the adhesive backing for easy peal-off release. Use a razor blade to catch an edge for easy lift-off. :)

However, some marine decals have a clearcoat sprayed atop the decal after mounting, for added protection. If so, and the removal is invasive, you risk damaging the gelcoat resin. :confused: Check with 3M's marine division for advice at their website.

An option that some boat dealers use is to cover the decal... with another one. :p Sloppy cover-up, but it's an easy way to avoid the gelcoat risks. :rolleyes:

MEP001

Reaction score
3M has a decal removal wheel that chucks into a drill. I bought one for removing pinstriping, and it worked really well (once I learned it had to be in a high-speed drill - my cordless wouldn't spin it fast enough). The pinstriping was on a company truck, and the toolbed had been clearcoated on top of the vinyl striping, and it wouldn't take that off at all.

Anything that's strong enough to dissolve the decal will probably destroy the gelcoat, so you'll want to remove all the decal first and use an adhesive cleaner. Mineral spirits should work safely, but it's not very strong and will take some time. 3M adhesive cleaner is well worth the money spent, but you'll certainly want to test it to make sure it won't damage the finish. A little heat should soften the decal and adhesive and allow you to peel the decal off.

Tom Thumb

Reaction score
This works for me,
Clean area with Rubbing acohol, heat gun on low and plastic scraper, after removing decal clean with 3M adhesive remover.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
agree 100% w/tomthumb.

if the decal wants to come off in tiny shards, use the Wurth wheel or similar.

Careful with it! I bent the $hit out of my wedding ring using a similar wheel and 3/8 Makita drill. I was removing ALOT of lettering and made my ring quite oval; so much so that the jeweler couldn't fix it. Of course my wife thinks I did it on purpose to get out of wearing the ring, but that's a whole nother post!:p

Dean Taylor

Dean Taylor, CATEC.com
Reaction score
Easy-Off Oven cleaner works like a champ. I did my 28' Wellcraft with it and it came out like new.

Use a heat gun to remove the vinal and then use easy-off to remove the gum. Use gloves and eye protection, it's some pretty powerful stuff.