What's new

How cold is to cold

Jason Studer

Reaction score
I have a tandum four bay ss with carbon poly doors, magnaglide operators with automatic closing timers. Three sorces of heat, two in floor boilers, and one waste oil burner, forced air. I also have two low temp sensors hooked up to the alarm, so that the alarm company will call me if the temp drops and stays below a certain temp. I only notice ice building up on the far north exit door when it gets below zero. Am I crazy to stay open all night with temps dropping into the subzero, and how about those subzero days?

soapy

Reaction score
It is -17 below here right now and my SS bays are still open while I have my automatics shut down until it gets to at least 0. The problem I have operating SS bays in below 0 temps is the build up of ice on the walls. even with FRP or similar slick surfaces the ice can built up real thick on the walls. If we have extended cold and it gets too thick I have to shut the bays down until I chip the ice off or it warms up and falls off the walls. I learned a lesson once when the Ice sheet fell off the wall and damaged a car in a ss bay. I had to repaint the whole side of a car and I won't let that mistake happen again.

phred113

Reaction score
It didn't happen at my wash.

Anybody have issues with their doors not opening correctly in the cold, or catching? The tracks seem to freeze or get screwed up.

bigleo48

Reaction score
We never close anything (SS, IBA, Pet Wash) and sometimes we get below -15!

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
You guys are tough! It's sunnny, windy and in the low 40's and no one is washing. I guess everybody's waiting for the 65 degree weather forecast next week.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
I am closing down at 7-8pm when well under zero, our nightly temps have been
closer to -20 or so. We have been closing early, not really because of the cold, but all the non-paying customers that come in to be mechanics, belts,oil changes, for us it seems like everthing but washing goes on.
John

bigleo48

Reaction score
I am closing down at 7-8pm when well under zero, our nightly temps have been
closer to -20 or so. We have been closing early, not really because of the cold, but all the non-paying customers that come in to be mechanics, belts,oil changes, for us it seems like everthing but washing goes on.
John
Well if they can't wash, they'll do other stuff :) Sorry, just me trying to be smart ?!?