What's new

Hopper problem

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Hopper keeps jamming. Coins get stuck between metal wheel and plastic. Cleared them out 3 times. Also will pay out 6 quarters for $1.00 and then jams. Anything I can do to keep it from jamming?

MEP001

Reaction score
Sounds like the hopper is worn out. You may need to replace the plastic parts of it. Take it apart and see if the surface on which the metal wheel slides is grooved badly - if not, check back and I'll send you the adjustment procedure.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Sounds like the hopper is worn out. You may need to replace the plastic parts of it. Take it apart and see if the surface on which the metal wheel slides is grooved badly - if not, check back and I'll send you the adjustment procedure.
<<

Afraid you might be right, it's 10 years old.

Randy

Reaction score
Earl, Over time a groove will wear into the bottom of the Hopper, looks like it is almost suppose to be there. When this happens the coins will dam up at the bottom of the Hopper and stop the motor, the sudden stop can damage the motor reduction gear. Sometimes when you dump out the coins the dam will break and you won?t see anything wrong inside the hopper. You need to replace the Hopper Bowl part #11-0017A, since your inside the Hopper and it?s 10 years old replace the Hopper Payout switch part #11-0008, sometimes it can get tricky replacing the payout switch so it will payout correctly. I got a call this morning from someone in Arizona who was having problems getting the switch they had just replaced to payout correctly.

MEP001

Reaction score
Randy said:
I got a call this morning from someone in Arizona who was having problems getting the switch they had just replaced to payout correctly.
I've always had problems with replacing the payout switch - the issue is that they're not made properly where the switch can be adjusted and come to rest where it's supposed to without doing some re-bending. Otherwise it would be very simple.

Randy

Reaction score
I?ve replaced hundreds of Payout Switches so I?ve got it down pat now. Sometimes I do get one that is a real pain in the rear to get right. I have a jig that I bend the switch arm to before I attempt to install the Payout Switch, this makes it alot easier. The biggest problem I?ve seen with Hoppers is they are filthy dirty inside. I take the cover off the front of the Hopper about twice a year and clean it out with a 1? paint brush and then wipe it down with a damp rag. I do the same thing to the inside of the changer.

MEP001

Reaction score
I used to rebuild hoppers - they were usually so gross that I'd scrub the plastic parts with hand cleaner. I make sure only clean, dry quarters go in our hoppers, and even when I have to go in and replace a motor they aren't all that dirty.

It always amazed me when people would send in hoppers for repair and would complain about all the trouble they have with them. These same people would admit that they dump the coins straight from the bay vaults and vacs into the changer, rust, bugs, water and all.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Got a local guy who repairs these units and stocks all the parts. The problem was as you said and he changed the payout switch without asking because it seems the right thing to do.

BTW in reading posts about changers, that is one of the things I like about the Hamilton's . Just dump from the vault to the Changer. No worries for most dirt and moisture. Although on occasion there has been a rare ebble or screw that screwed me up. Rather have that once a year or less than to take time cleaning and drying quarters weekly or more.

Randy

Reaction score
Earl, Did your repair guy change out the Hopper Bowl when he replaced the Payout Switch?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Earl, Did your repair guy change out the Hopper Bowl when he replaced the Payout Switch?
<<

Yep, it was grooved badly just like you said. My guy was there and told me he replaced it. Because of the posts I asked him to get the payout switch replaced and he told me he already did it.

dogwasher

Reaction score
Earl, are you in the chicago area? I need a place to get parts for my hopper I have the same problem, the coins jam at the bottom about every two weeks more in the hot summer.

Randy

Reaction score
You can order the Hopper Bowl 11-0017A from any Hamilton distributor, it costs $55.39. Since you?ve got the Hopper opened up you might as well replace the payout switch at the same time, it?s #11-0008 and costs $34.52.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
This guy is in the Western Suburbs of Chgo. He can usualy do it while you wait.

X cel. 630 932 4234