What's new

Hoping for advise on features for an ideal self serve road warrior truck

doublj70

Reaction score
Hi All,
I operate multiple self serve washes, and have been thinking of setting up a dedicated pickup truck to service them. I was thinking to equip it with things like a lift gate, utility boxes to organize parts and tools, and some kind of rack that would allow you to stand on it to service ceiling booms etc. I was hoping for input from the forum guru's as to any features you added or would like to add to your truck to make it the ultimate car wash service truck.... Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, John

JIMT

Reaction score
doublj70,
A friend of mine put a drawer that covered the entire bottom of the pickup that would pull out like a dresser drawer. He had it full of metal boxes with lids on them. When he needed a part or tool he would pull the drawer out and open a box.
JIMT

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
I have a 2005 F350 with Service body lights inside all panels Rhino liner total over kill i think to much truck but I also do commercial refrigeration. All you need is a truck with service body the F250's and 2500's chevys hold up good because of the bigger transmision due to all the weight of parts,soap,equipment and a lift gate if money is right. thats all i recomend a good transmission heavy duty the 3/4 tons series in whatever.

trentu

Reaction score
How about a small lift/boom arm for getting those dryer motors or other heavy items up to about 10 feet?

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
I wish I owned a scissor lift more than anything for lighting painting and tree work at carwashes

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
I purchased a Honda Fit as a "truck". While it's not a 350 and it can't pull a house.... I have saved more money on gas though. I could purchase a scissor lift at both of my car washes (or whatever equipment needed? Ladders... etc.) and purchase a truck with the money I saved. I have actually fit a 55 gallon drum in the back, a rowe bc-2800, a d/h max vend 2 and a combo vac. (separate times) :) Also have a rack for the top and a trailer hitch I have not used yet.

I would either purchase 2 cars or really think about why you "need" a truck.... you can also rent them. You can rent one for less then $75 and free miles. I have only had problems with getting chemical delivered (55 gallon drums) but you could work around that.... or might not even be an issue? Also because the bumper is so low on this pos car it is super easy to load heavy crap!

Unless gas prices are going down..... then never mind! :) Ford sells a small ugly box van looking thing. That was just coming out when I purchase this Honda. But the Honda got better gas mileage.... but if you need more organized space look into that. Besides looking like a repair man (which you really are) it would be perfect. You could also probably get a lift gate? It's for the repair industry.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm a pickup guy though I currently only have a 'yard truck'; 1991 Ford F250; that we plow the carwash lot with.

I'd use a vise mounted in a pickup and can see getting use out of a lift setup as described above. add torches, small gas generator, and enough primary tapes (duct and teflon) and MacGyver will have to mail you part of his royalty checks.