What's new

Hooking up old water well

Bricks

Reaction score
Hey there! I’m closing on my wash tomorrow morning! It has a water well that has been disconnected and the softener removed.

I can clearly see the pressure switch contacts are fried. The city water has a big softener that I’m assuming can’t be used to incorporate the well . Does anyone have a recommendation for a softener to use with it? Thanks for any help, I sure need it. B59408C8-12C2-40F8-9110-BA95B02B464F.jpeg

MEP001

Reaction score
Any idea what the well water hardness is and what kind of contaminants are in it? You wouldn't want to use well water that will end up costing you more to treat than just using city water. It might be fine for washing down the lot and for irrigation without treating.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would find a well company to check your system and get it up and running or at least give you an idea about what the cost will be to do so. I have a water well at my car wash that I use in conjunction with city water.

mac

Reaction score
Find a good water testing company, not Culligan. Have them test for all major things. Then go to two water treatment company with results and get quotes for equipment. For softener get a single tank with timed head, and whatever else they recommend. You should not have to use city except for backup. Have a customer who does this with three washes. You’ll save enough money to take your wife on nice cruise.

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
You may want to look into your local codes. I've had a couple of customers that when they hooked up their sites to city water/sewer they were prohibited from having an operating well on site.

Bricks

Reaction score
Any idea what the well water hardness is and what kind of contaminants are in it? You wouldn't want to use well water that will end up costing you more to treat than just using city water. It might be fine for washing down the lot and for irrigation without treating.
Hmm... I saw some test kits of some sort. I’ll have to learn how to use them.

Bricks

Reaction score
I would find a well company to check your system and get it up and running or at least give you an idea about what the cost will be to do so. I have a water well at my car wash that I use in conjunction with city water.
Ok. It looks like it used to be hooked up like that. There’s float switches? And a float that looks like a commode type. It looks broken though.

Bricks

Reaction score
You may want to look into your local codes. I've had a couple of customers that when they hooked up their sites to city water/sewer they were prohibited from having an operating well on site.
Yikes! That never crossed my mind. Thanks for the heads up!

Bricks

Reaction score
Find a good water testing company, not Culligan. Have them test for all major things. Then go to two water treatment company with results and get quotes for equipment. For softener get a single tank with timed head, and whatever else they recommend. You should not have to use city except for backup. Have a customer who does this with three washes. You’ll save enough money to take your wife on nice cruise.
Hot dayum! I like the sounds of that cruise, but I’m just trying to make the payment and leave my filthy factory job lol ! I’ve heard of Hague water conditioning, maybe I’ll call them after I sign my life away,again, tomorrow. Thanks!!

MEP001

Reaction score
The reason the city might not let you use well water along with or instead of city water would be because they usually charge for wastewater based on city water usage.

Bricks

Reaction score
The reason the city might not let you use well water along with or instead of city water would be because they usually charge for wastewater based on city water usage.
Ugh! Who do I ask, h
Great. I was counting on that to save money. Guess that’s what assuming gets me.How would I find out, call the health department?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's true. The city required me to put a water meter on my well line which they use to calculate sewer fees associated with the water usage. I also had to have air gaps built-in to the water lines so that there was no chance of cross-contamination.

Randy

Reaction score
I wouldn't tell the city that I'm using a well.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I wouldn't tell the city that I'm using a well.
I would tread carefully using that approach. IMHO, some local prosecutors can be worse than others when it comes to the "ignorance of the law excuses no one" conundrum!!! Randy could be right ... maybe the potential penalty would be worth the risk???

MEP001

Reaction score
I would tread carefully using that approach. IMHO, some local prosecutors can be worse than others when it comes to the "ignorance of the law excuses no one" conundrum!!! Randy could be right ... maybe the potential penalty would be worth the risk???
So what are you saying? Don't do it, but maybe do it?

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
So what are you saying? Don't do it, but maybe do it?
Just to clarify. What I would do if it I was in the "high stakes worthy of fighting" situation that our fellow forum member Bricks is in. I would first try to tap into the best possible independent expertise just in case of a possible refusal to allow the well by the city ... in order that I could hopefully be able to counter any misinformation that the city was trying to peddle. I would try to be reasonable like Waxman appears to be ... when it comes to sewer expense.

Every specific local governments are not the same on how they will respond ... that is why I did not rule out Randy's approach completely. Locally ... examining my humongous water & sewer bill, I notice somehow someway they currently have my water bill rate less than what the water meter rate based per cu ft that they are charging for sewer ... I am thinking that could possibly be an insidious PR (public relations ploy).

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Ill throw in a couple opinions, mainly because I hate to spend $ when I dont need to.
But even worse than that - dont get ANY "authorities" involved until you NEED to. Call them now, and they'll likely start snooping for infractions, justifying their jobs, and wondering what you do in there, etc.

First thing for me is I'd want to know what I have. Depth of the well, gpm, what pump. Around here thats usually written in sharpie of the pressure tank (the green tank in your photo) or the bottom/inside of the well cap. Also what equipment works & doesnt work. That info would tell me approx cost in getting it up & running, help me decide if its worth it - which it might not be.
THEN I'd do a few quick tests on the water, & Id do it myself. Hardness, Tds, ph, etc - NOT a thorough drinking water & health test, at least not yet. Buy the kits at home depot or whereever.
Then I'd think about hooking it up & using it for cleaning etc, I'd probably keep it 100% isolated from the city water system.
Then & only then would I worry about next steps, additional equipment, etc etc etc.