What's new

Hire College Students

buda

Reaction score
For as long as I have been in the car wash business finding good employees has always been a problem for car wash operators.

Many have found that high school or college students are some of the best you can hire. They have a good work ethic and good values.

There is now a nationwide online marketplace that is read by college students looking for part-time and summer jobs in their city.

You can post job openings: http://jobs.uloop.com

Good luck

Bud Abraham

Mr. Clean

Reaction score
Great resource. And, if you can find a serious athlete who has the time, there's nothing you can ask of him/her that a coach hasn't already. Our world is a piece of cake.
MC

MikeV

Reaction score
I hired a college student to do some yard work. First day...2 hrs..I have to go study.
2nd day...4 hrs...did less than the first day.
3rd day...3 hrs...I'm tired.
4th day..goodbye!!!

pitzerwm

Reaction score
I would have to question "they have work ethics". Where would they have learned it, certainly not from their parents, certainly not from the school system, and certainly not from the government.

The few that do have it would have generated it themselves.

Tom Lee

Reaction score
Bill,

Why don't you think parents could possibly be who taught the kid "good work ethics"?

I believe that those of us who are doing our job to be good parents have instilled this behavior in our children.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
I wasn't referring to every parent on the planet. But the majority of parents IMO don't have work ethics, so teaching something that they don't have isn't usually possible.

The other thing is that your kids probably work for you rather than the guy down the street, so benefit from your own teachings.

Entrepreneurs, are a minority breed so we don't make much of a dent.

Washmechanic

Washmechanic, Ibas. ss,
Reaction score
Do not hire kids. We hire retired people because they have proven that they can show up. Two, we can't offer enough hours to support a person, its more a way to make pocket cash and get out of the house for 10 to 15 hours a week. Know other operators in the area who try kids and they have a big problem with the employees friends coming by the washes and hanging out and not showing at all. Even in this economy, no shows and tardiness is the major complaint of the businesses esp. fast food in this area.