What's new

high tech vs low tech

mac

Reaction score
Ran into another example of something simple doing the job os something not so simple. We work on eight different manufacturers equipment. It's prohibitively expensive to stock all parts for every machine, so I have the techs carry simple fixers. One of those is a simple air switch. The kind where you drive over a hose and a switch momentarily closes. So many automatic makers use a set of photo eyes to activate things. When the emitter or receiver goes out, it can easily cost $200 for the receiver or emitter, plus freight, and labor. The $20 air switch works every time.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I agree. I recently installed a stand-alone dryer about 4' outside the auto door opening. The tech was trying to figure out the best way to mount eyes to shut the dryer off. After scratching his head for a while he asked me if it was ok to use an air switch, to which I agreed. We laid the hose just about directly beneath the blowers and set it to shut off 10 seconds after the 2nd hose pulse (rear tire). It's worked like a charm for 2 1/2 years.

BTW, I had another issue some time back that a low tech band-aid worked fine for 2 or 3 years. I had a boiler that would shut off for no reason and wouldn't re-fire. All I had to do was cycle the power and it would work fine until the next time, maybe a month or two later. I got a lamp timer from the hardware store and just plugged it into that and set it to shut off at 1:00 AM and on at 1:15 AM. That way if I didn't catch that my boiler was off, it wouldn't be off more than one day before it was back online. It finally got to shutting off quite often and I bit the bullet and had someone fix it.

Last edited:

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
It all depends on the application! There are instances where it is better to use photo eyes rather than an air switch. You also need to repair/change air hoses as needed. I have seen dryer photo eyes last over ten years and I have also seen dryers turn off early because there was a hole in the hose and the air from the dryer pulsed the switch. I like air switches for activating under car and side blasters. It is much easier to avoid the air switch than photoeyes when you do not feel like taking a bath in the middle of winter in a car wash bay.
My only point is "low tech" is not always the best way to go (two cans with a string works like a phone and is cheap).

Danny

Reaction score
The air switch is well proven and has been around forever. It is also known as a signal switch and bell switch. From what I have been told is their original purpose was in full service gas stations to ring the bell alerting to a customer waiting at the pump. The only real problems with it comes in to play with the hose either wearing from heavy traffic or getting small holes in it. Other than that it is an easy, inexpensive and quick fix!

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Air switches are cheap and simple but they have limitated applications compared to photo eyes.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Personally, I'm a duct tape certified guru. There isn't a better low tech solution. When I sold my laundries, I wrote into the contract that they couldn't come back to me about the duct tape fixes, later to become know as the Pitzer Fix.

MEP001

Reaction score
I remember a customer with a D&S 5000 who kept replacing the switch mat for the undercarriage because people would burn out as they drove over it. The last one he replaced (over $100 each) wasn't in more than 24 hours before it got ruined. I replaced it with a bell switch and hose, and he never had to touch it again.

Vectors use Lexair valves for switching between hot and cold water, two valves at $400 each. If either valve failed to open, the machine was basically down, but there's no detection or warning system for this problem. The second time the one on the cold water failed, I removed it and lowered the water level in the tank. The hot water had enough gravity to flow to the pump while that valve was open to overcome the cold, and if the hot valve failed the machine would still operate normally.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Personally, I'm a duct tape certified guru. There isn't a better low tech solution. When I sold my laundries, I wrote into the contract that they couldn't come back to me about the duct tape fixes, later to become know as the Pitzer Fix.
That is fine for you as an owner, but as a technician I have to do things right! Our customers would not accept half assed repairs and quick fixes. A different solution is fine as long as it is as good or better than the original (this is also my rule for purchasing parts). Duct tape does have applications, but very few in the car wash bay as far as I am concerned. I may be different than most as I like things clean and done right, I do not like fixing the same thing twice!
I tell the techs "perfect is almost good enough."

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
If it moves andit's not supposed to - Duct tape. If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - WD40.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
My coleman combo unit Shampoo and air fresh hoses seem to fail in the middle from scraping and flexing. Now, all new hoses get a covering of 1/2 hose 3 feet long in the middle covered in balck tape. This protects the hose are from abraision and flexing.

In the tunnel old vac hose sections cover any potential rub points on Hydraulic air and water lines.

mac

Reaction score
rykopro you seem to be missing the point again. My intent on the posting was that there are times when a simple fix will get you by, and save you some money. If one of your customers has an eye fail late on Fri afternoon, sometimes a $20 part will get him going. Yes, it's nice to do the same repair by selling him a $200 part plus travel, labor, and tax, but not all operators appreciate that. It is quite obvious that these can not replace all eyes everywhere. Some applications such as sizing a car have to have the eyes. But just because some "engineer" decided to incorporate an expensive item in the design, doesn't mean the operator should be locked into that option. A famous aircraft designer once aptly said, "Simplicate and add less weight."

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Simple fixes are great.
You misunderstand my point again, simple and or half assed repairs are not always the best repair. The "cheap" will normally turn out to be expensive in the long run.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Mac,
The quote you are referring to is actually "simplicate and add lightness".

Simple is good but technology can be better. Both my 68' and my 69' Oldsmobile's use carburetors, they work well but not as good as fuel injection. Fuel injection is far more efficient, controllable and requires less maintenance. Even bracket racers (amateur and semi pro drag racers) are turning to fuel injection. Yes low tech can be attractive due to a lower cost and simpler repairs but many times a more technical approach will bring efficiency and cost savings along with better over all results.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Mark, everyone knows that fixing something correctly with the right parts is usually the best, but we are talking about making quick fixes to stay open and sometimes re-engineering a poor or over engineered part.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
I understand, but I have seen "quick fixes" hurt people. I have seen "re engineering" tear up cars. Not everyone has the capabilities to re engineer a car wash. To make a repair to get you by is fine, just make sure it is safe.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Mac,
For some reason kcranmer@comcast.net contacted me because he is unable to registar on the forum and contact you. He wants to discuss Barry Boyd.