What's new

HF in a touchfree machine.?

mr-gte

northeast Pa
Reaction score
Stopped buy a local wash
I noticed auto bay floor is in very poor condition for 6 years old..
I wondered why? I waited for a car to wash. Foam presoak is very strong HF.
HF in a touchfree machine.?
Customers Breathing vaporized HF ?
Is this like selling your soul to the devil for clean wheels ?

Precautions >>>>
**This is the most dangerous industrial acid in existence**
Attacks calcium in bones. Strong irritant to eyes and skin. Highly corrosive to skin and mucous membranes. Toxic by inhalation and ingestion. Will attack glass specifically and generally any silicon-containing materials.

. Exposure Controls/Personal Protection
Airborne Exposure Limits:
Hydrogen fluoride:
-OSHA Permissible Exposure Limit (PEL):
3 ppm (TWA)
ACGIH Threshold Limit Value (TLV):
3 ppm Ceiling as F
Ventilation System:
A system of local and/or general exhaust is recommended to keep employee exposures as low as possible. Local exhaust ventilation is generally preferred because it can control the emissions of the contaminant at its source, preventing dispersion of it into the general work area. Please refer to the ACGIH document, Industrial Ventilation, A Manual of Recommended Practices, most recent edition, for details.
Personal Respirators (NIOSH Approved):
If the exposure limit is exceeded, a full facepiece respirator with an acid gas cartridge may be worn up to 50 times the exposure limit or the maximum use concentration specified by the appropriate regulatory agency or respirator supplier, whichever is lowest. For emergencies or instances where the exposure levels are not known, use a full-facepiece positive-pressure, air-supplied respirator. WARNING: Air purifying respirators do not protect workers in oxygen-deficient atmospheres. Since the IDLH is low (30 ppm), the above cartridge system is not specifically approved for HF. (3M Respirator Selection Guide)

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
While I absolutely do not recommend HF in any application, the vapors of an HF presoak do not come anywhere near the danger level.

Etowah