What's new

Hey Newbies; this is car washing.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Today was a nice busy Saturday, sunny and 30 degrees and all the cars are heavily salt-crusted.

The car wash was busy right from the get-go, but the day had a few struggles.

We had a floor heat furnace that kept shutting itself down. We got it running but it needs maintenance.

We had a broken overhead door that we fixed quickly.

Our auto cashier stopped reading credit cards at about 9am. We diagnosed and repaired the problem on the fly, in between cars entering and washing, with water mist blowing at us from the touch free wash the whole time. we found a broken wire, and after some mac gyver-ing of the wire and pin connector, were able to accept credit cards.

Situations like this can be very stressful for new operators and old alike. I have learned a few things with the help of friends who know way more than I do. At the beginning, I was cavalier but inexperienced and any one of the problems I had today at the wash would've had me freaking out.

So, before you get too very excited about opening your first car wash, think about how you will be able to handle a day like mine today. Be honest with yourself, because when that day comes for you, there is zero 'faking it'.

Robert2181

Reaction score
I agree. Yesterday and today were the first back to back good days we have had in a long time.

cdreed06

Reaction score
Amen! The part about not freaking out is us now, 2 years after install LOL.

Reaction score
Keeping your cool is the most important thing, escpecially when in front of clients and crew. If you panic in front of the crew they panic and customers get nervous since they feel the building is falling down.

My favorite time for something to break is 2 minutes to close (the 1 time it happen) and I could work on it with out the crowd of on lookers and gawkers.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, sometimes not panicking is the trickiest part. No one really explains break down scenarios to you when you're planning a wash.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I don't think I ever had a favor time for a breakdown. They all were a pain in the a$$,

mmurra

Reaction score
In the carwash business since 1969. Lots of those moments. Eventually the experience turns into a low grade, dull pain between the shoulder blades and never goes away. It takes the place of panic.

Robert2181

Reaction score
What a fascinating business. No matter how much you plan for break downs, back up parts & etc. It seems like it ends up being a part you don't have yet!!!

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What a fascinating business. No matter how much you plan for break downs, back up parts & etc. It seems like it ends up being a part you don't have yet!!!
No; not necessarily. It's more of a mindset that needs to be developed over time. Sometimes recognizing a problem before it causes a breakdown is essential for smooth operation of the car wash.

It's more about becoming tuned into the equipment, processes and customers.

Robert2181

Reaction score
That is my point. I'm in my 27 year in the car wash,quick lube, and laundry business.

SSadmiral

Young buck
Reaction score
I've been at it for 15 years now and still get panicky when something goes down usually on a busy Friday or sat. My wife tells me I have an unhealthy obsession watching my cams on iPad to make sure everything is up and running always looking for possible issues. I have that dull ache in shoulders but can't tell if it's from my kids or the car wash. �� The old saying an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure is dead on here.

I've learned to watch for wear patterns with everything and I don't just replace the broken part I learn what caused it to brake and try to minimize wear to lengthen the lifespan

You need to be all things plumber, electrician, mechanic, janitor, accountant, investigator , and very stubborn to be successful

chaz

Reaction score
Yep. My wife gives me a hard time when I watch my 32 cameras at the wash. And when I use my two way audio PA system , she really thinks I'm crazy. But after all, the iPad was paid for as a business expense.