What's new

Heart Surgery for AFIB

Etowah

Shorco1

Reaction score
For those that suffer from AFIB I had Pulmonary Vein Ablation 3 weeks ago. The surgery was long, 6 hours, but successful. If you have AFIB and would like to email me I'll contact you. It is great not to be suffering from AFIB. My quality of life has improved dramatically.

Ken

Fatboy769

Living the American Dream
Reaction score
Ken, glad to hear your doing well after the surgery. I wandered where you had been. Take care buddy.

Scott

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
For those that suffer from AFIB I had Pulmonary Vein Ablation 3 weeks ago. The surgery was long, 6 hours, but successful. If you have AFIB and would like to email me I'll contact you. It is great not to be suffering from AFIB. My quality of life has improved dramatically.

Ken
This is one of my jobs in the cath lab. I work in the EP lab (electrophysiology).

Glad everything is ok Ken. They can be long. Afib orginate in an are of tissue locatted in the area of the atria were the pulmonary veins come off the right ventricle (called the outflow track). we use ultrasound to locate the area then either freeze (cryo) or high frequency heat to burn the tissue that causes the abnormal heart beats. I have one today to due where we puncture throught the heart (called a trans-septal) from the right side into the left side and ablate the left atria! These are scarry because they are not only long (and you peirce through the heart) but you have to give blood thinners (in Ken's case you don't). It involves A LOT OF EQUIPMENT and general anesthesia. Ken's is done usually with conscious sedation (versed and a narcotic).

Sometime is has to be repeated Ken, in about 20-30% of the time so don't dispair if it comes back.

Uncle Sam

Reaction score
Ken:

Glad you are feeling well!! I had a PVA here in Calif just over a year ago. After 2 Afibs during the week after surgery, I have never had an "episode" since. I went back 90 days after my surgery for a checkup and was pronounced "cured". You don't hear doctors use the "cured" term very often. So I am praying that you will be "cured" when you go back for your 90 day checkup.

It was great to see you and your family in Orlando at the show earlier this year.

Uncle Sam :)

Shorco1

Reaction score
This is one of my jobs in the cath lab. I work in the EP lab (electrophysiology).

Glad everything is ok Ken. They can be long. Afib orginate in an are of tissue locatted in the area of the atria were the pulmonary veins come off the right ventricle (called the outflow track). we use ultrasound to locate the area then either freeze (cryo) or high frequency heat to burn the tissue that causes the abnormal heart beats. I have one today to due where we puncture throught the heart (called a trans-septal) from the right side into the left side and ablate the left atria! These are scarry because they are not only long (and you peirce through the heart) but you have to give blood thinners (in Ken's case you don't). It involves A LOT OF EQUIPMENT and general anesthesia. Ken's is done usually with conscious sedation (versed and a narcotic).

Sometime is has to be repeated Ken, in about 20-30% of the time so don't dispair if it comes back.
I was not conscious for the procedure. They did ablate the four pulmonary veins with high frequency. I was told they puncture from the right to left with a needle. I only remember being told being told to take a couple deep breaths. I barely remember waking up 7 hours later in the recovery room. So far no AFIB, however many PVC's. I hope they subside as time passes.

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
yes, they are long. Furtunately the one we did yesterday took less then 2 hours. With the trans-septal (right-left peircing with a needle through the right ventricle-left venticle) they do give you general anesthea because it is vital that you DON'T MOVE as the find the PFO (the hole in your heart that closes when you were born... this is where they peirce the needle through... if the miss... it's too the OR in a hurry). Our patient yesterday took only 1 sec of burning to arrest his A-fib/Aflutter. However he comes back again today for a pacemaker upgrade :( oh well job security for me :)

I sedate about 30% of the EP studies and pacemakers. We don't use anestheasia unless they are very sick (ASA class 4).

The PVC's can be treated with a Beta-blocker later like LOPRESSOR if they are to many.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Doug, have you taken up drinking since the wash went down the drain? Your spelling seems to have gotten worse compared to the past.

Etowah