What's new

Has anyone rebuilt a Hamilton Validator.

Buzzie8

Reaction score
My old Hamilton validator (HVXv3.39n)quit working today and is giving me a 3.4 error code. I talked to Hamilton and they said to clean the tracking heads and if that didn't work I need to send it in. I have fully functional Hamilton with a Mars conversion next to this changer and have never updated this or converted it. I put a sign on the changer saying that it accepts only older style bills. I am on the fence about paying $500-$600 to convert it. I know I do not want to send to Hamilton. Here are my options:
1. Try to fix this myself
2. Pay to upgrade
3. Take this changer out of service.
If anyone has repaired a 3.4 error let me know how you did it. I would prefer option 1.

Randy

Reaction score
A 3.4 error code is related to the side scan sensors. Have you tried to recalibrate the validator? If it doesn't calibrate you can try to adjust the side scans. The HVX is not upgradable to accept any of the new money so I wouldn't put a lot of money into it. If recalibrating it doesn't work I'd replace it with another validator.

MEP001

Reaction score
Does the risk of being strung not outweigh the cost of converting it to Mars? You will almost certainly get hit sooner or later, if you haven't been already. When we first started getting strung they were going in for an even $100 per validator once a week, probably hoping that the money wasn't being tracked. The Mars are super reliable and cheap to repair as well as much more resistant to stringing, and even if you could upgrade the HVX it would cost a good portion of what it would cost to convert to Mars.