What's new

Hamilton XE

Tpoppa

Reaction score
So my validator has been working great for the last year. Wouldn't you know it, it's starting to act up right before the busy season.

I've seen a 2.1 code (Side sensors out of adjustment) twice in the last couple weeks. Both times I cleaned the validator and it cleared the code. If it happens again, does it need to be serviced? Will going through the calibration steps make a difference?

Jeff_L

Reaction score
IMHO...I would replace it with a MARS validator. I had an XE for awhile and got tired of it getting strung. Replaced it with a MARS and it hasn't been strung since. Some have tried, but I always find their shreded bill from failure in the changer.

Tpoppa

Reaction score
I've never been strung, but I have my changer on a timer. It shuts off at 9p. This also stops the patrons at the bar next door from using all my quarters for the pool table :)

Randy

Reaction score
The 2.1 error code is a “side scan” sensor error. To clear it you need to do a side scan sensor recalibration. To do the Side Scan recalibration turn all the switches to the “Off” position. With power on the validator turn “On” switches #6 and 1 in that order. The display on the side of the validator will countdown from 9 to 1 when it gets down to 1 turn “Off” switch #1 and the #6.
If you haven’t done an optic sensor calibration lately you might as well do that one also. To do the optic calibration cut a piece of White copier paper the size of a dollar bill. Turn on switches #8 and #1 in that order, you should have a “0” on the display. Feed the white paper into the validator, it will march into the validator and stop then be rejected. When it’s rejected the number “1” should be displayed. If it higher than a number “1” the validator should go in for service. Turn “Off” switch #1 and then #8 in that order.

If you suspect that you’re being strung or you’re concerned about not getting strung. Install the v3.54 software. It shuts down the XE validator when it detects a stringing attempt. You can set the length of time and sensitivity that the validator will be shut down.

sprocket

Reaction score
I have removed all my XE's from service. I have got several Iowa validators but I have replaced several of the XE's with Mars from Etowah Valley. I only wish that I would have done it 20 years ago. I hate to think how much money that hamilton cost me in buying new validators or updating them with the fix to stop the stringing and the thousands of dollars lost from stringing. If hamilton remotely cared the would have fixed this problem years ago. The timer might stop someone useing them but they will string them. It won't take long for the Mars validator to pay for its self.

Tpoppa

Reaction score
Thanks Randy. I'll recalibrate tonight.

Does everything need to be hooked up to recalibrate? Stacker connected, etc?

Randy

Reaction score
I'd connect the "Stacker Bypass" plug that's cable tied to the stacker harness, it's the plug with the Purble wire on it. It makes the controller think that the stacker is installed.