What's new

Hamilton hopper issue

MEP001

Reaction score
One side of my changer kept shutting down with a 5, 3 flash (Unexpected hopper payout). Cleared it, tested, worked fine, next day same thing. I dropped the hopper down a couple times and it didn't shut down, so probably not the switch. After three days of this I pulled the hopper, and the arm that pulls to the motor was actually sticking to the motor. It just took some WD-40 on a paper towel to clean whatever the stickiness was and all is good.

Clean.jpg

This is one of hundreds of simple fixes that I've traveled at least an hour to fix.

I've also seen this issue before, the arm somehow gets bent and it can't pull up enough to disengage the brake. Mine was bent way worse than this, I just pressed on it to get it mostly straight, but the plastic hook was just barely disengaging from the motor shaft. This will cause a 2, 3 flash (Hopper jammed).

Bent.jpg

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had the same exact error. I did the same thing to fix it so we'll see if the repair holds

Randy

Reaction score
I highly recommend that you not use any spray oils on the Hamilton Hopper motor brake assembly. WD-40 is a petroleum based product that leaves an oily residue. The oily residues attracts and holds onto dust, dirt, or other contaminants that will cause the brake assembly to operate poorly after a short time. Our favorite lubricant to use on the brake assembly is Tri-Flow with PTFE and we use it very sparingly https://www.acehardware.com/departm...ine/fluids-and-lubrication/lubricants/1015478 after cleaning the back of the motor with brake cleaner we lubricate the brake assembly and on the white brake lever with a small amount of Tri-flow, wiping off any excess. If the brake assembly is still sticky from someone using oil on the brake assembly then it needs to be torn down and the inside needs to be cleaned. To do this remove the 2 - ¼” screws from the Hopper case and remove the pivot rod, this will give you access to the back of the Hopper motor. Remove the 2 screws that hold down the armature bearing and brake assembly to the back of the motor, set this aside. Carefully remove the white plastic brake arm from its retainer, be careful to not damage the spring. If had a lot of Hoppers come in for repair with the spring shortened so there would be ore tension on the white brake arm, this does not work and it only causes more problems. After we clean the components of the brake assembly we swab components with a Q tip sprayed with Tri-flow as we reassemble the brake assembly. After we reassemble the brake assembly you want to check the clearance of the white plastic brake arm and the cogs on the armature on the motor. To do this push up on the metal brake arm and then rotate the motor armature so the high point of the armature cog is just below the white plastic arm, you want to have about 1/16” clearance between the white plastic arm and the armature cog. To adjust the gap you need to carefully bend the metal brake arm slightly, checking that it is loose when you get the correct clearance.

The brake arm is pulled up by an electro-magnet on the bottom of the motor that is energized when power is applied to the motor. If the gap between the white plastic arm and the armature cogs you can get jamming issues inside of the Hopper at the coin chute. The Hopper motor is designed to stop on the back of the motor not on the front. If it stops suddenly on the front it is possible that sudden stop could ruin the gears inside the transfer case on the front of the motor.

The only product you should use to clean the inside of the hopper bowl is Windex window cleaner. You should NEVER use, any solvent based cleaner, brake cleaner, cab cleaner, electrical contact cleaner, or WD-40.

What else would you guys like to know about Hoppers. Hopper motor replacement, Hopper bowl assemble or Hopper payout switches. Let me know and I’ll see what I can do.

MEP001

Reaction score
WD-40 was not sprayed on anything. The brake lever pivot point wasn't sticky or gummy, the end of the lever itself was sticking to the motor. Brake parts cleaner or carb cleaner would have worked too, I just used what I had, and I didn't leave anything to attract dust.

MEP001

Reaction score
A month later and this hopper is still trying to kick my ass. Again it started to pay out an extra quarter here and there, no errors this time, definitely not motor run-on, so I replaced the switch with the new style. New one bad, pays out fine but the counter is WAY over after 10 singles. Was going to leave it, but something told me to test it a couple more times, at which point the gearbox went. Ended up replacing the switch again (New one also pays out correctly but count is still off by one coin after 20 singles), as well as the motor, bowl and plate which were both full of cracks. Probably should have just ordered a new hopper...