What's new

Hamilton ER-60 Changer Problem

trs246810

Reaction score
I recently installed the Mars conversion kit from Etowah...I went trouble free for about a month. The error code I now have every couple of days is 3 flashes pause...then 5 flashes on the controller. The Mars acceptor just flashes twice if that helps. I can run 50-60 dollars through with no problems...accurate payouts...then come in the next morning to the same error code. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would really appreciate it. Thanks, Justin

Randy

Reaction score
You've got a issue with the Hopper Payout switch. Take the cover off the Hopper and clean the dirt from under the switch arm and see if that doesn't help. You might have to replace the switch. It's part #11-0008 costs $35.90. Hamilton just had a 4% price increase on parts.

trs246810

Reaction score
I thought that at first...but I replaced the payout switch 2 days ago...and this is the same code I got before I replaced the payout switch. The new style payout switch looks a little different than the factory one...but it is paying the correct amount out in quarters each time. I got the switch at Etowah too...I will call them Monday to see if they have any advice, but I thought maybe I could see if anyone had any other suggestions. I know everyone on here has been a huge help in the past. Thanks Again, Justin

Randy

Reaction score
I just bought 25 switches and they look the same as the last batch I bought. How is it different? You could also have a bad controller.

MEP001

Reaction score
The switch arm may need to be bent slightly. The very tip of the switch should be the only part that rests on the plastic of the hopper, but they usually come where it rests higher up, and you can't get it to adjust and work right. The new switch could also be bad - swap the pairs of leads to the two different layers, making sure each pair gets moved together and reconnected the same way. If your counter is off after that, you know you got a bad switch.

trs246810

Reaction score
considering it has done this with two different hoppers...the controller idea does sound like an option I should consider...does anyone know where to get eprom pliers to keep from damaging the eprom when I order a new controller?

Wally

Reaction score
Justin, don't give up to quick. Controllers are pretty pricey. Get with Randy he can help you through this. Those switches can be aggravating.

MEP001

Reaction score
You can pry the EEPROM out with a screwdriver, just do it gently and work it a little from each side at a time so you don't bend up the pins, and don't pry against the circuit board.

Randy

Reaction score
Now we are getting somewhere. Since you?ve installed 2 different Hoppers and it done the same thing with both Hoppers it pretty much rules out the payout switch, what are the odds of the switches being bad in both Hoppers. Normally when the controller goes bad it will be bad all the time, not an intermittent problem. You could have a problem with the harness. The Mars conversion kit uses the $1 signal wire (white/blue tracer) to send the pulse to the controller, it doesn?t use the $5 line (white/brown trace). Take a look at the $5 line, White wire/with brown trace, if it?s shorting out it will give you all sorts of strange problems. You don?t always need to change out the EPROM on the Hamilton controller when you install Mars kit. It all depends on the version of the controller.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I recently installed the Mars conversion kit from Etowah...I went trouble free for about a month. The error code I now have every couple of days is 3 flashes pause...then 5 flashes on the controller. The Mars acceptor just flashes twice if that helps. I can run 50-60 dollars through with no problems...accurate payouts...then come in the next morning to the same error code. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would really appreciate it. Thanks, Justin
Justin, I have experienced the same issue. I believe the code I receive is the same one. Cannot pinpoint exactly why or when it will happen. Seems to be fine for days or weeks, then happens continually for days. I contacted Hamilton and they sent me email instructions on what to do with the hopper to try and correct the situation. I haven't had an opportunity to try it yet, but if you want, you can PM me your email address and I'll forward you their email.

trs246810

Reaction score
Still Having Issues

Thanks Jeff...I would really appreciate that info. I'm still having the same problem. I don't understand how I can always feed money through the changer after resetting it...then come back to the same 3, 5 error code. It's very frustrating. Randy, I'm not understanding if I should abandon wires? I do know that the new 5.00 bills wouldn't work until I adjusted the dip switches and added the new eprom that came with the conversion kit. I will definitely keep everyone posted on the fix...I'm just wanting to get to that point. Thanks Again, ~Justin

Randy

Reaction score
Justin, Don?t abandon any wires. Check them to make sure they are not damaged. Changing the EPROM in the controller or changing the dip switch settings on the controller will not make the changer accept the new $5 bill. Bill acceptance is done inside the bill validator. What dip switches have you adjusted? If you changed the settings on the controller this could very possibility be your problem. The dip switch setting for a quarter payout on the controller is switch ?G? should be the only switch in the On position. E-mail me and I'll send you the C-2000 controller manual and the Payout switch instructions.

MEP001

Reaction score
trs246810 said:
I don't understand how I can always feed money through the changer after resetting it...then come back to the same 3, 5 error code.
Are you positive it's a 3,5 error? That indicates a $5 input stuck, but it's not used with the Mars acceptor. If it's in fact a 5,3 error, it would indicate a payout switch problem, or possibly a motor run-on issue.