What's new

Hamilton DRS not paying out

Rfreeman

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a hamilton DRS that randomly decides not to pay out. It will work then randomly it takes the bill but doesn't pay out....doesn't matter $1, $5, $10, $20 any thoughts or suggestions on what I should look for or inspect? Maybe time to clean the bill path?

This is the first time it's done this.

MEP001

Reaction score
What kind of validators? If Mars, does it pull the bill in and not cycle the stacker? Hamilton conversion or Etowah Valley? Just one side or both?

Rfreeman

Reaction score
They are Mars validators. No sure if it cycles, it does pull the bills in but doesnt pay. Judy one side

MEP001

Reaction score
It's important to know whether it's cycling the bill into the stacker. The Etowah Valley conversion uses an interface that has a white box inline on the harness, and I have seen those go bad and sometimes not pass the payout signal through. The confirmation is where the bill ends up, if it's cycled into the stacker, the relay is probably going bad - if it's not cycled in then the validator needs to be serviced. You can swap the conversion harnesses to be sure, just be extremely careful, the older units are not keyed and will plug in wrong which will toast the validator and they can't be repaired anymore.

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
If it's a factory mei, I believe there is a relay between the validator and controller. I don't remember the purpose, but it may be an interface for payment, so I would swap it from one side to the other and see if the problem follows.

Rfreeman

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the feedback. This was a brand new changer I bought from Hamilton 8 years ago so everything on it is original.

Mep from what my guy is telling me the bill does cycle and end up in the stacker when it doesn't pay out. So you guys think it's the relay between between the validator and controller?

MEP001

Reaction score
That's the factory Hamilton relay, pretty unlikely that it's the problem but that would be the easiest thing to swap sides. Unfortunately you'll have to keep swapping parts until the problem moves. It could be the validator or even the controller. It wouldn't be the hopper unless it shuts down and your guy resets it and isn't telling you.

Rfreeman

Reaction score
So on site and I noticed this relay has a little rust in it as if moisture got inside some how. You guys think this might be the problem?

Additionally when the changer does take the money without paying out the red indicator light stays solid red so it doesn't throw am error light sequence

Attachments

Rfreeman

Reaction score
I talked to Hamilton and they only advice they could give me was to disconnect the wire harness and spray electrical connector cleaner on the connectors. So I spray a can of air in there to give it a good dusting and sprayed cleaner in there, let's see what happens

MEP001

Reaction score
That relay is what tells the controller to pay out. I'm pretty sure you've found the problem.

Randy

Reaction score
If you haven’t already corrected your problem I believe your problem is the inhibit relay in the relay pan, it’s a fairly common SCL-DPDT 120 volt relay. If you have an old Hamilton single stacker laying around it’s the same relay. You could also have a bad relay on the control board inside the validator. When the Mars validator accepts a bill the red light on the back of the validator should flash and go out while the validator is escrowing the bill and then come back on steady red after the changer has paid out. If it stays steady on the switches on the side of the validator are not set correctly. I always set the Mars validators up used on a Hamilton bill changer with switches 1-4 in the On position and 5-6 in the Off position.