What's new

Hamilton changer jackpot

Reaction score
I need some help with my hamilton dual changer that is acting strange. The changer jackpotted one hopper completely empty at some point yesterday. At first I thought somebody had strung it, but the hopper started running again while I was standing in front of it. The controller and the mars validator were both in the 'ready" status. (Solid led). I have had a lot of strange issues with this changer. Other hopper dispensed about $90 too much per audit a couple weeks ago. Various codes and validators disabled, etc. Anyway, to my question... This machine has these Etowah valley harnesses between the controllers and validators that I suspect may be causing the problems. My other hamilton at another location just has a straight harness between the controller and the mars validator. What do I need to do to get rid of these Etowah valley harnesses? Thanks in advance for any input.

MEP001

Reaction score
I doubt it's the Etowah Valley harness. That would only leave the controller or a shorted wire in the harness, or possibly the hopper run switch. First, take the hopper out and make sure a quarter didn't end up landing on top of the switch and completing the circuit. Next, remove and examine the harness for any pinched or damaged wires, mainly the white one to the hopper. Newer harnesses have a disconnect to prevent the hopper manual run switch from working. The harness can be fished out through the coin chute and tampered with. A GFCI outlet for the changer plug should prevent that exploit. Normally I'd recommend swapping the controllers first, but the Etowah Valley side has a different EEPROM chip. I don't believe it'll do any harm to swap them, but the one with the Hamilton chip may not work on the EV side. If the controller is the problem, it will probably still pay out on the other side.

Randy

Reaction score
How old is the Etowah valley harness? I'd replace it if it was mine. The Hamilton harness is a much better constructed harness. It could be the harness, I've replaced a few of them. It's more than likely your controller. Which model controller do you have? I've seen controllers short out when they get hot or from a broken or weak solder connection. If you need a loaner controller let me know. I've got a few that I loan out.
Your other Hamilton changer has to have a relay inline with the Mars validator and the controller for the Mars validator to work correctly.
All there is inside of the poorly constructed Etowah valley relay box that is glued together is a 110 volt DPDT relay, tooth picks for pin stops and a plug that can be plugged in backwards or off a pin or two.

Last edited:

G WASH

Reaction score
I doubt it's the Etowah Valley harness. That would only leave the controller or a shorted wire in the harness, or possibly the hopper run switch. First, take the hopper out and make sure a quarter didn't end up landing on top of the switch and completing the circuit. Next, remove and examine the harness for any pinched or damaged wires, mainly the white one to the hopper. Newer harnesses have a disconnect to prevent the hopper manual run switch from working. The harness can be fished out through the coin chute and tampered with. A GFCI outlet for the changer plug should prevent that exploit. Normally I'd recommend swapping the controllers first, but the Etowah Valley side has a different EEPROM chip. I don't believe it'll do any harm to swap them, but the one with the Hamilton chip may not work on the EV side. If the controller is the problem, it will probably still pay out on the other side.
wait if a coin lands on top of the coin switch and completes the circuit the hopper will jackpot??? read my post MEP0011 ..do you think this might be what's happening with this brazing rod i found? I thought if the hamilton had an unexpected pay out it would quickly turn off??? i called hamilton about this and got a new guy who promised me he would show the photo and ask the techs and call me back but nada.Of course they dont want sells to be hampered hmmm

G WASH

Reaction score
we are both in Texas...I had another wash with hamiltons both get shut down by a customer wearing a Jesus saves shirt that i paid a home visit too...Now he's a believer..

Reaction score
The issue was that one leg of my 3 phase was dropping because of a bad splice on the power pole across the street. It was the leg that provided the 120 vac to the changer. It finally dropped off long enough for the utility linesman to find it. Thank you Randy for your help.