What's new

Hamilton Changer Does Not Give Change Does Not Go Out Of Service

Buzzie8

Reaction score
I have a Hamilton changer with a Hamilton validator. Yesterday and today it took a customer's $5.00 bill and did not give change and did not go out of service. When I get there it works fine. I know from video that the customer is not working me. In the past when it malfunctions the red light goes on and it goes out of service. No error codes no blinking lights. Any ideas.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
If it wasn't stacked it was most likely that the validator couldn't verify the bill, but couldn't reject it for some reason or the customer just wouldn't give up. If so, it will go into a self-clearing mode and just accept it and not pay out. Normally, the bill will be sitting on top of the stacker, but not stacked. If a legitamate bill comes in afterward the stacker will cycle and stack both and you may not know about the non-paid bill until you audit the changer.

Randy

Reaction score
Pats pretty much got it nailed. If the validator tries to accept a bill and can’t reject it the validator will steal the bill to keep it from jamming up the validator. If there is a poor connection on the $5 credit line on the harness you could have an intermittent bill stealing problem, the $5 credit line is the White wire with a Brown tracer on the harness. Or it could be on the harness inside the validator. When was the last time you had this validator serviced or rebuilt?

MEP001

Reaction score
The first Mars conversion we did was because of the very issue you're having. The rest were to stop stringing. Unless you need the Hamilton validator for Tokenotes, I wouldn't put any effort into trying to fix it. I changed and moved everything and was never able to stop it from happening at least twice a week.

Buzzie8

Reaction score
I had a second problem yesterday. Same thing. This time I had an error code though 1.6 (rear sensor blocked) and I am going to clean to see if that fixes it.

MEP001

Reaction score
It still sounds like what I.B. suggested.

Randy

Reaction score
You could have a couple of problems going on. If your stealing bills and they are going into the Stacker, but not on top of the Stacker pusher plate then the validator is trying to reject the bill and if it can’t the validator will steal the bill, this is normal. If it’s happening a lot then you could have a problem with the validator, harnessing etc., these problems can be a bitch to find and fix. If you’re getting bills on top of the Stacker pusher plate then the stacker isn’t cycling to push the bill down. Check the spring on the side of the Stacker, they sometimes break. If it’s broken it’ll be loose and you’ll be able to push the stacker plate up about an inch or so. The Stacker on the XE validator is controlled by the Controller if you got a problem with your harnessing you could have stacker issues. A 1.6 error code could be that the bills are balling up not going into the Stacker or the rear gate on the validator isn’t dropping fast enough or hanging up. Cleaning the validator will not help when you have a rear gate issue, the only option is to send the validator in for repair. When was the last time it was serviced? What version software is the validator? You want to be using v3.55 software.