What's new

Grease Gun Woes

Red Baron

Reaction score
Greasing the gantry is my least favorite thing to do, especially when the greasegun isn't cooperating. Seems like every 5 zirks the grease gun fitting gets off-center and it won't go onto the zirk until I stick a phillips screw driver in the end to straighten out the little fittings in there.

Is there a better grease gun? Is there a high quality grease gun? Anyone tried those cordless battery-operated grease guns?

washme1

Reaction score
I'm using a Lincoln cordless grease gun. I took the first one back because it seemed to leak a little bit of oil. The replacement does the same thing. I had a problem with either the battery or the charger when the gun was just over a year old. The store where I bought it had me call the factory since it was just out of warranty. The factory sent me a new battery and charger at no cost. It works well now, just a bit concerned about the oil leak.

Red Baron

Reaction score
I'm using a Lincoln cordless grease gun. I took the first one back because it seemed to leak a little bit of oil. The replacement does the same thing. I had a problem with either the battery or the charger when the gun was just over a year old. The store where I bought it had me call the factory since it was just out of warranty. The factory sent me a new battery and charger at no cost. It works well now, just a bit concerned about the oil leak.

Washme, as I was researching cordless grease guns on the internet, several mentioned the same problem with oil leaks. One guy said it's the grease, not the gun. He said use a better quality grease with better "saturation" to keep the grease from separating from the oil.

MEP001

Reaction score
I use a "pistol grip" grease gun, and I bought an extra-long 3-foot hose and attached the 8-inch or so solid piece that came to the gun at the end of that hose. The gun delivers much less grease per stroke than the lever type, but it's very easy to squeeze with one hand. It only takes a couple pumps to grease most ports on the D&S with it.

If you're having a lot of problems with the tip, it may be bad.

MEP001

Reaction score
That's what I always used - makes sense to use a marine grade grease on car wash equipment. The most common stuff at auto parts is usually labeled for boat trailer wheel bearings. It won't absorb water like regular chassis lube.

jimbeaux

Reaction score
Red Baron, we bought a battery operated grease gun from Harbor Freight to use on the D&S Odessey. Has an extra battery with charger & has worked great for about a year. Although they are cheap you can buy an extended warranty for very little. In most cases if something breaks from HF you can just bring it back & they will replace it.

Reds

Reaction score
I have had a Liberty cordless for about 10 months and have had no problems with it at all. Will never go back to a pump type grease gun. And I use a petrolium based grease like "marine" grease. I happen to use a Never Seez brand of grease that is made for heavy loading, but expensive as grease goes.

Last edited: