What's new

Grease for Overhead Springs

SoakZone

Reaction score
What does everyone use to keep the horizontal springs above their IBA doors lubed up? We are spraying them with WD-40. Any other product that works better than that and lasts longer than a week?

AnalyticWash

Reaction score
You should be able to find/order lithium grease spray in a can. Should work much better for you than WD40.

MEP001

Reaction score
I would not recommend lithium grease, at least not the stuff in a spray can. D&S used to recommend using it on the 5000's arch chains, but it absorbed water and made the chain rust. Somewhere on an old phone I have pictures of chain I removed that was rusted solid into a stick of steel. Later on they said use only bar and chain oil.

SoakZone

Reaction score
I would not recommend lithium grease, at least not the stuff in a spray can. D&S used to recommend using it on the 5000's arch chains, but it absorbed water and made the chain rust. Somewhere on an old phone I have pictures of chain I removed that was rusted solid into a stick of steel. Later on they said use only bar and chain oil.
Yeah, that seems to be what's happening to our overhead springs... getting pretty darn rusty after only being open just over one year...

AnalyticWash

Reaction score
You can purchase HDG and stainless torsion springs if corrosion is an issue. All of ours are HDG and I have had no corrosion after 10 plus years.

SoakZone

Reaction score
You can purchase HDG and stainless torsion springs if corrosion is an issue. All of ours are HDG and I have had no corrosion after 10 plus years.
Do you have a link for them please? Definitely worth looking into.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score