What's new

Grate Theft in KC Area

Jeff_L

Reaction score
The police stopped by this morning at my Blue Springs wash to inform me that there is someone in the area stealing the grates off of the pits. The one he mentioned happened just a few miles from me and wanted to let people know to be on the lookout for a black (or dark color) Chevy pickup with silver trim over the wheel fenders/flares.

I have nothing more than what I listed.

1carwash1

Reaction score
They have been doing this all over the Atlanta metro area. Happened to me twice.
Now I bolt them down.

Reaction score
Are they taking the round circle kind that is in the center of the bay?? hou would I secure that from being lifetd up and hauled away any ideas?

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Would welding a length of LARGE chain to each grate and run it thru the drain line to the next pit, daisy chaining together with just enough length so that one at a time can be lifted out.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I've thought about chaining them to a concrete block and throwing it into a "just cleaned out" pit. My grates are in three pieces. If all three were chained to that block (with a lot of slack), all three and that block stuck in mud would have to come out as a package deal.

BTW, my cleaner guy uses a suction pit cleaner so I feel he could flop the covers to one side and work around the block and chains pretty easily.

Kevin James

Reaction score
Metal theft is a big problem. If they want it there going to get it! As long as there is a market they will steal it. We welded tabs on our grates and then bolted them down. That didn’t work they pried them out of the pit, pulling up the steel angle that the grate sit on. The least expensive place we found to get replacement is from McNichols http://www.mcnichols.com/viewer.htm. We bought a full sheet of bar grate material and keep enough spares on hand for a 4 bay car wash.

I’m surprised they don’t steal more than they do at the car washes. They’ve been stealing the brass flower holders and brass head stone markers at the cemetery.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
What about using fiberglas grating in coin op locations - any problem there?
I haven't used them before and would be interested in hearing any feedback on them from operators who are. I would assume this would reduce, if not eliminate, the theft of the grates because the purpose of taking them now is for their scrap value.

my2cents

Reaction score
The fiberglas is used quite often in tunnel applications. It is typically 1.5" thick and can be purchased either with a smooth finish or a rough finish which is preferred in wet environments. Its strong enough to hold a vehicle and lighter to lift. Has no scrap value.

Keith Baker

Keith Baker
Reaction score
I put some 1 1/2" fiberglass grate over a pit last fall. The pit is about 40" by 58". I reinforced it with some angle iron so that the span was only about 40" by 20". I drove my 3/4 ton pickup on it and it didn't bow any. It still is in good shape after about six months. If I lose anymore, I"ll replace them with fiberglass.

I got a good price and great service from this company. http://www.versagrate.com/