What's new

Grace for Vets Promotion

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
We are seriously considering doing the Grace for Vets promotion on Veterans Day. It sounds like a worthwhile opportunity to honor and give back to our Vets with the added benefit of some positive exposure for our industry. Does anyone who has participated in previous years care to share their experiences, good or bad? Things to do or not to do?

DavidM

Reaction score
We have participated in the Grace for Vets promo for several years. I highly recommend doing it.

It is a great way to say thanks to the vets who have served and they really appreciate it. Make sure you take the time to talk to some of them as they visit.

David

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
some of the best moments i have had w/customers have been on Vets day when I do a free wash for them. i do my own version w/coffee and donuts.

the gratitude veterans show is uplifting and reminds me why i love washing cars and being of service to others.

best promotion i have done.:D

washnvac

Reaction score
What kind of id, if any, do you request for someone to verify they are a Vet?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
none whatsoever.

i don't see it as an issue in my small town. i know most of the folks who come in.

even if i didn't know them and they 'impersonated' a veteran just to get a free carwash, maybe they have bigger problems personally and i'll let the universe handle that on its own.

bigdadioofthepatio

Reaction score
grace for vets

we also have perticipated with the Grace for Vets program and feel it is worth every ounce of effort you put into it. I would suggest that if you can you dedicate someone to just talk to the vets. My wife comes down to work with me on that day, just to stand in the walk way and personaly thank the vets. I don't know who gets the most from it, the vets or us.

DavidM

Reaction score
We don't require ID. The Grace for Vets promo as started by Cloister Car Wash (www.graceforvets.org) recommends that you not ask for ID. It really hasn't been an issue at all.

David

washnvac

Reaction score
We don't require ID. The Grace for Vets promo as started by Cloister Car Wash (www.graceforvets.org) recommends that you not ask for ID. It really hasn't been an issue at all.

David
Thanks, I did not think it would be an issue. This is my first year participating, and I want to do it right, and not offend anyone.

Joe Law

Reaction score
grace for vets

As a veteran I think this is a wonderful service you guys provide. While you are talking to the veterans you might mention that Golden Coral give a free meal to vet's on Monday November 16th from 5 to 9 pm. They have been doing this for about 15 years. Thanks to all of you who participate in this and thanks to our young men and women in the service now Semper Fi.

mmurra

Reaction score
I have been washing vets free for over 10 years. I mail to the veterans organizations, the local radio and the newspaper, an announcement. I post it on our street and location signage in the month prior to the event (it is up now). We THANK each veteran for their service to the country, on behalf of our community at large, when they come through. We do not ask for verification.

We do not use the "Grace" program. We do it on our own, as the word "grace" means different things to different people. "Thanks veterans" and "free wash to vets on Nov 11" is easy to understand. They get it!

I make every effort to personally thank as many veterans as I can. A couple years ago, a WWII vet came through. When I thanked him for his service, he teared up and said "in all my years, no one had ever thanked me for what I did." That made it all worthwile! It is fun and rewarding. Do it!!! Mark

Etowah

teamplex65

Reaction score
We hang a 4X12 banner on the side of the building, post it on the website and facebook, as well as send press releases to all of the area VFW's and military places in town.

Last year was our first year and it rained all day. We still had 13 veterans come by for either a free wash coupon at a later date or to wash their car before going to an event that afternoon. Everyone was very happy and thanked us greatly, as well as we thanked them.

Keep it simple the first year, put a sign up and try to spread the word as fast as you can. Then spend the day at the wash and treat the veterans like royalty.

I am hoping for a nice day this year.

randy64

Reaction score
I seen your banner this morning. It looks good I also seen the last one you had I think that's a great place to advertise for you, It sure gets alot of people going by.

teamplex65

Reaction score
Yeah it attracts a lot of attention. Unfortunately it attracted the wrong attention today. The sign ordinance guy called today and left a message that we have had a banner up to long and we need to file for a permit.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wednesday Forecast

Sunny and 50 degrees!

Free Veterans Carwash!!!

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nope; doing it Wednesday. I'm having free :rolleyes:coffee and donuts, too.

teamplex65

Reaction score
If you have any other companies in your area also doing a Veterans Day promotion be sure to call them and see if you can spread the word for each other.

The Applebees 1 block from us will be letting Veterans know that they can head down the street for a free car wash, and we will be telling our customers about Applebees offering a free meal.