What's new

Goulds Pump-to rebuild or not?

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Hi Guys, I've got a Goulds ST pump on a Carolina Pride SS pump stand that has started leaking. When I called Carolina pride the parts manager discouraged me from installing a replacement seal kit, saying customers have had issues installing it and the pump working properly. I'll admit I don't have much experience with rebuilding centrifugal pumps, I just don't use them in many applications. But is there anything especially difficult or challenging about rebuilding this pump? One other consideration- this pump is ten years old, but still sounds OK. However, based on age alone I'm inclined to replace it instead of rebuilding.

I will say I've considered other methods such as a higher PSI procon setup, but lately I prefer to take the easy way out and don't want to bother to convert to another pump. Carolina pride is set up on a recirculating presoak system and the pump runs anytime a timed output is on in one of the bays. I did add an air solenoid to foam the liquid some years back.

MEP001

Reaction score
I'd replace it, probably with a Procon if I wouldn't have to change solenoids for higher pressure. I've rebuilt centrifugal pumps before only to have the motor go out a year or two later, and the motor sometimes costs as much as the whole pump.

I prefer medium pressure spot free, 450 PSI or so. I hate seeing customers rinse with it for ten minutes, but at least they're paying for it. I recover the reject so it's actually cheaper than HP rinse.

OurTown

Reaction score
Wait. Is this pump for spot free or presoak?

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Sorry, been busy and haven't been here lately. Its a SS presoak pump. I ordered a new one, mainly because of its age. Its just a slight drip when it runs, but it runs anytime a timed output is on in one of the bays. $750 plus $50 shipping from kleen rite. I just hate to throw this one away- . I was tempted to try a cat centrifugal pump but those babies are noisy compared the Goulds.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
Greg I have seen a many of the Gould pumps and have them myself of southern pride & Carolina pride setups. 95% of the time it’s the mechanical Seal that leaks. If the impeller itself is bad it will be ate up and the pump housing and motor shaft will be too. You need to clean the inside pump housing when you tear it down like a race car mechanic, and get no dirt or deberis on the ceramic part of the seal or it will leak like your describing and clean the chemical holding tank several times before start up. I am sure I have a part number a extra at my wash if you want that info. The Allen bolts on the backside of housing need to be soaked in Kroil oil before removing also

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
Gould part #RPKNPE is the seal kit number most of the time this is all you need

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Thanks TDL , I'm likely going to tear into it. It certainly seems like a durable pump and for educational purposes if nothing else. it would be a shame to trash it, but I can indeed understand the philosophy of replacement simply because of age.