What's new

GO Solar!

washnvac

Reaction score

The Sun is always shining. I used a combination of state energy grants, federal tax credits, electric savings, and the future sale of solar renewable energy credits (srecs) to install solar pv systems at three of my locations. Approximate payback considering all components is about 5-6 years. Then FREE electric!

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
That's neat.Does your utility allow net demand metering? Can you tell us anything or post pics of your system?

bigleo48

Reaction score
Very Nice,

The province here is giving 10X power rates for solar, guarantied for 20 years. Pay back here would be 6-7 yrs. About $90k install. The plan has been so successful, that utility is having a hard time keeping up.

washnvac

Reaction score
First pic is 7.2kW system-total cost $60k, municipality covered 50%, so I paid $30k (just installed Feb '10). About 5% of my needs; monthly electric savings $125+/-

Second pic is 18kW system-total cost $150k, state covered 50%, so I paid $75k (installed Feb '09). I just received my first check for selling last years srecs. It generated 20 credits which I netted $283.50 each--I got a check for $5670. About 40% of my needs; monthly electric savings $400+/-

Third pic is 6.3kW system- total cost $45k, state covered $10k in cost, so I paid $35k (installed Nov '08). Those srecs sold in Feb at $300 each for 9 credits generated in '09--I got a check for $2700. About 8% of my needs; monthly electric savings $100+/-

The 60 sq. ft. solar hot water panels, including a new Rinnai, cost $12,500. The state covered $2k of that. Monthly savings on natural gas is $350-450. That system was installed in Dec '08. That payback is two years. In my opinion, solar hw is a no brainer for the car wash. Even if there are no rebates/grants, the payback is quick. I am getting ready to add another 100 sq. feet of hot water panels to the existing system. Maryland has a 15% rebate for adding 100 sq. ft. of more. The net cost to me will be about $5500. I expect my gas bill to drop another $100-150 per month.

As well, all renewable energies receive a 30% federal tax credit in the first year, then 4 year accelerated depreciation for the remainder of the cost basis.

All my utilities do allow net energy metering (NEM). When I am not busy, excess electric feeds back into the grid.

Most states have recently lowered the rebates. All three where I am installed now only have 25% grants available, and there is a 2 year waiting list to receive the funds.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Washnvac,

Smart! What I like about this is that it is no maintenance cash savings...cause I'm a lazy ba$tard (at least my wife says so :))

Also it does make you look environmentally friendly. I wouldn't hesitate to milk that angle.

Big

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Excellent idea.

What part of the country?

Does solar hot water make sense in NOrtheast?

washnvac

Reaction score
Mid-Atlantic. Yes, I think it makes sense to do solar hot water wherever the Sun shines. A Closed loop system makes it usable year round.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Can you post some info on the mfg./supplier for the hot water system? That seems more within my realm at this time.

washnvac

Reaction score
I am getting ready to install a system a system at the first location pictured. It is going to be a Rheem pre-packaged system. My local plumber will be installing. Here is the system details:

http://www.rheem.com/product.aspx?id=A791651C-EA8B-4067-8471-D4E340E8CAF5

I will be installing the 119 gallon.

Any local plumber or solar company should be able to install for you. All the state rebates require a certain certification of the panels. You may check that info here:

http://www.dsireusa.org/

If your state has no rebates/grant, then you can find the solar hot water components online. Just "google" solar hot water. You may be able to install yourself.

The Rheem system I mentioned is costing $11k, with the municipality picking up $5100. So my net is $5900. On that I get a 30% federal tax credit, and 4 year depreciation on the remaining $4130. Oh, then there is the gas savings!

Hope this helps.

MEP001

Reaction score
Auto Transport said:
Thats a great idea. I really would like to get involoved in the selfcar washing industry. Does anybody have any helpful links at where to get stated?
Yeah. Start with removing the spam from your signature if you want to be taken seriously.