What's new

Glass Building

James007

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know or currently have a glass building for the the automatic? If yes, whats the cost run around for a 20 x 57 building? I am thinking about setting up one and would like to do some research before jumping in. Any inputs/feedbacks are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Call Brian Carter at 803-981-2653. He manufacures glass car wash buildings

JustClean

Reaction score
If you want to clean forever go with glass. I've got glass and I put a film on it to prevent the acid etching it over time. It looks great when its new or if you clean it permanently.
cheers Justclean

James007

Reaction score
JustClean- Thanks! That sounds good to use flim to prevent etching on the glass, wonder if you have tried rain x, wax or the automatic window washers? What company and building size did you buy?

JustClean

Reaction score
I only have large windows and thank God no glass building. My film is not the best but it was cheap. I am still looking for a better quality for good price. They actually use this film for TV protection during transport. I tried Rain-X and other products and wasted a lot of time and elbow grease.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
almost seems as though one could buy a roll of commercial grade film from Madico or similar and re-tint the glass every year or so. plus I bet the plastic film would hold up nicely.

JustClean

Reaction score
almost seems as though one could buy a roll of commercial grade film from Madico or similar and re-tint the glass every year or so. plus I bet the plastic film would hold up nicely.
I was looking at window tinting first but it was too expensive (I got a quote) plus getting it off might not as easy as it is now.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
You can buy a system for your RO unit that rinses the windows periodically through the day. It still requires some maintenance to stay on top of them but generally keeps the glass in an all glass building in pretty good shape. The key is to stay on top of keeping them clean from day one. Once they get into bad shape you are out of luck as far was getting them back looking good short of replacing much of the glass.

I have seen some older glass buildings looking pretty good and some relatively new ones looking really ratty.

JustClean

Reaction score
You can buy a system for your RO unit that rinses the windows periodically through the day. It still requires some maintenance to stay on top of them but generally keeps the glass in an all glass building in pretty good shape. The key is to stay on top of keeping them clean from day one. Once they get into bad shape you are out of luck as far was getting them back looking good short of replacing much of the glass.

I have seen some older glass buildings looking pretty good and some relatively new ones looking really ratty.
I was thinking about this but due to 2 glass automatic telescopic sliding doors (noise) I don't want to do it. I already have too many water related problems with those doors. But otherwise it seems to be a great idea.

washnvac

Reaction score
Every glass building I have seen in my area looks terrible after just one year of being built. (I have seen 6) The maintenance issues are tough enough in the car wash biz; without having to deal with glass problems. Yes, it looks nice at first. These all had spot-free rinse down; or at least the piping/nozzling was there. It takes a lot of spot-free to rinse those. So I would think you need to way oversize your production or your storage. Just my 2 cents.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
The system works if it is used properly. Like anything else in this business if you let it slide it won't. There is no doubt in my mind that glass buildings require more day to day maintenance than a traditional one. It would be interesting to see if anyone has looked to see how it works out over the long haul as opposed to having to re-paint or maintain FRP or Extrutech type set ups. My guess is that it would probably still be more expensive but the buildings really look nice, especially at night. The building itself almost becomes a sign.

mac

Reaction score
One other caveat relating to glass buildings is the UV issue. In Florida I see a lot of automatics two tears old where all of the exposed poly tubing has rotted after two years. And these are in block buildings with a roof, but with open sides. If you go with a glass one I recommed using all black poly tubing and/or running it inside something.