What's new

Gauges on Equipment

MegaBlast

Reaction score
Well since owning my wash for my first month I am getting to be able to spend some time this week with it....I plan ion painting and doing the finishing touches on the outside(looking Forward to it)...Then I can slowly work on the inside...I was looking at the gauges on the Equipment today and noticed that they are all broken and not working..(old) stuff and I wanna update so with that said I get the gauges on the pumps is for the pressure that the water comes out BUT what would the gauges be on my fomaers? it goes up to 60 on the gauges but unsure what they should be at when I replace also what is a good pressure for the pumps? 1000 psi? or is that way to much

Thanks

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I think the rule of thumb on gauges is that you want them to read 200% of operating pressure or so. So, if you run 1000 psi on your high pressure, you'd want to have a 2000 psi gauge . Most operators use 2000 or 3000 psi gauges

On the low pressure side, you mix chemical and air to make foam. Most people do this is the 40-60 psi range. In that application I've seen people use 100, 150, or 200 psi gauges for low pressure.

MEP001

Reaction score
You'll probably find it's a pain to change the gauge on a stack of solenoids because you'll have to unbolt them to unscrew the gauge. In those cases, while you're replacing the gauge you can add a 1 1/2" nipple and an elbow and use a panel-mount gauge. I do this and orient the gauge so the needle is pointing straight up when it's at the proper pressure. It's already saved me some ****ed off customers once - I came in late at nght and noticed the foam brush gauge sitting at zero because the pump had stalled. It must have just happened because there was foam on the floor in two bays.

On the bays I put a 45° elbow under the gauge so it's facing up and easier to read.

I dont buy gauges from Kleen-Rite. The brand they use just doesn't last. About every six months the one on the foam brush turns pink and leaks glycerin. (I know you don't need a glycerin-filled gauge on a foam brush system, but it's that or a plastic gauge with a tiny dial.)

Don't ever tighten a gauge by twisting the head. Use a wrench on the fitting.

MegaBlast

Reaction score
Thanks for the info it will not be right away it all still works dont fix something if it working..:)
but the info is great to know

MEP001

Reaction score
PaulLovesJamie said:
Where do you get them, what brand?
Whatever Windtrax sells, don't recall the brand. I've never used a high-pressure gauge from them - none of them have ever failed.