What's new

Gated Vacuum Area

wash works

Reaction score
I have 7 paid vacs that do pretty well but, after 36 years of trash dumpers who do not vac or wash I'm getting ready to restrict access to vac area with gates.
My idea is to either charge for time like a parking lot (with minimum of $3-$5) or gate opens on minimum purchase of vac token or one-time use code that expires in 30 minutes. Additional tokens/time can be purchased in vending area. Additional paid services would include things like air, shampoo, fragrance, etc...
I would use central vac system with vfd's, 16-20 drops. The convenience of having a place to clean the trash out of your car is a service in itself... we need to recognize this and find a way to profit from it. I originally thought of coin operated trash containers but i can see them just leaving trash on the ground next to them. Ideas?

MC3033

Reaction score
I’m a huge proponent of free vacs and what they bring in. However, as you seem set on paid vacs I would say this is a great concept.

I recommend parking lot style. You can advertise ‘Unlimited vacuuming $3’. It is simple, easy to explain and easy to advertise. The equipment and operation is simple.

The other paid services could be the complication. The idea that you have to pay to get into the area and then pay again for the extra service could be a turn off. Would you consider leaving those outside the area?

What type of wash/volume is the is for? 16 vac drops on central vacs is a huge investment. Even doing it on the cheap this is $80k.

MEP001

Reaction score
I had considered at one time gating my wash and doing a variant of "pay one price" to keep out the homeless and the freeloaders who clean out their cars and don't spend money. I might charge $2 to enter but each one would get $2 worth of tokens, so real customers can use the wash as usual, the rest will hopefully leave and lose the tokens.

wash works

Reaction score
We presently have all combo vacs (shampoo/fragrance). I'd have to find a way to add those services and more. Tire air, mat washers, additional vending and token dispensers. I have over an acre of excess property so I think i can make this area a real destination of it's own. The wash is in a small town, 13,000 pop. but no competition. 2 ss bays, touchless automatic and 60' cloth tunnel. After 36 years in business, the only thing I lose sleep over is the trash and run a..holes. Vacs currently $2/5 min. I'm leaning toward $3.00 entry gets you 6 min vac token or $5 entry gets you unlimited vac. Everything else is extra.