What's new

Gas + 2 Cycle Oil on Tan Carpet...Suggestions

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
Not sure if it will work, But I see them washing oil off animals in the gulf.
They always use Dawn dish soap.--Seems to be able to break oil down.
If it doesn't work the Oil change place next to my wash always washed the floor with Tide 3. An industrial version of Tide laundry. I'd bet the Dawn will work!!

MEP001

Reaction score
Dawn should work, but it might create further problems. It has a bad tendency to attract dirt and will make the cleaned area turn dark again. It's very difficult to rinse it all away. Tide sounds like a better idea. There are instructions on the box of powder for mixing it into a paste to pretreat soils. It won't foam as much as Dawn and can be removed more easily with an extractor, and by design it rinses easily. You might even be able to let it dry and vacuum up the majority of it.

soapy

Reaction score
You should get a stain cleaning guide for your detail shop. I have one I got from Bud that explains how to clean each stain you might come across. Another good scource is to simply type in the words" stain removal" in a search engine and find out how to clean something on an internet site. I would try dish soap as mentioned with a good heavy extraction afterward. That will keep it from attracting dirt later. If you do not have a extractor with a window on the extractor handle I would look into getting one. It lets you see when you have all of the soap or dirt out when you extract. Without a window to see what is coming up you really do not know when to quit. On a gas ior oil stain I use a good citrus based cleaner to break down the oil and then extract. Xenit made by stoners works well but there are many others

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Depending upon how much gas/oil you may want to remove the carpeting and douche it in a carwash bay and let it ir dry a couple days.

soapy

Reaction score
It is a little late but I found some advise on gas odor removal. Use Vinegar or lemone juice mixed with water first to break down the gas smell. The acid in either will work. Extract the solution with an extractor after letting it sit for a few minutes. Next follow with a solution of baking soda and let it sit and then extract.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Thanks guys...I just used my ozone generator for the first time and it didn't do much to break down the smell (carpet is clean but the smell remains). I guess I will try the lemon juice/water mix to see what kind of results that will bring about. Should I mix that solution into the steam cleaner or just use it as a pre-treat with some good scrubbing?

This has been one frustrating and expensive job...it's now my ego that is driving me to get this taken care of.

I would love to get a copy of Bud's stain removal guide...