What's new

Fundraising/ Benefit Washes on Site

RockyMountain

Reaction score
I am thinking about approaching different groups that are in need of raising some money. I wanted them to hold signs along the road and do the washing in the bays. They would ask customers for donations for the service of washing. I would like a portion of the money to go to covering expenses at the wash.
I am doing this for several reasons including
-being a giving member of the community to groups that need to raise money
-giving new customers a chance to see our wash- ie ones that would not have stopped otherwise
-at least break even or make a little

Has anyone else tried this? Any advice on how to structure it with the customer and with the group?

bigleo48

Reaction score
Rocky Mountain,

This topic has been discussed in length in past posts, but I'll comment.

I think you should go out an watch what goes on at these 'fundraisers car washes', especially when kids are involved. What goes on there I don't want happening at my wash. I also do not want to plug my bays on busy weekends and distract or deny services to my regulars.

Next, determining what you should be compensated for to cover your costs is a tricky one.

My preference would be to determine the causes you want to support in your community, and provide them with the ability to sell washes instead (via tokens, coupons, IBA codes, etc). I would give them a certain $ amount outright (a donation to show that you support them regardless of amount sold) and charge them a percentage of sales to cover your costs. Kids could go door2door, at church, etc, takes orders and then you supply the tokens/codes/coupons.

You can then explain the benefits of doing it that way...environmently friendly, better wash when the customer wants it and removes the possibility of a "rainout".

BigLeo

MEP001

Reaction score
We let a group hold a fundraiser like that - it was a bust.

First, they were asked to bring all their own cleaning supplies, but they showed up with nothing.

Second, their business was sporatic - one minute there were no customers for them, the next they asked for more bays.

Third, it was a bunch of 14-year-olds that had no idea how to wash a car by hand, and they'd grab a wadded up soapy towel, scrub the fenderwells and then go straight to the paint. They were much more interested in playing than raising money.

I hope to do something again, but my plan next time is to give them tokens to sell along with an informative flyer - they keep all the money, the customer gets a gift for their donation, we get a little recognition and some new business. None of the frustrations or worries, all of the benefits.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
^good, sound advice. I have yet to find an on-site fundraiser go well. I am strictly a self serve and I had a hard time with the kids running up to people as soon as they got out of their car and soliciting money. I prefer the hands-off approach now, where they buy tokens at half off and sell them at list price and keep the difference. It has worked out well.

Bill Manke

Reaction score
I tried it once. Will never do it again. Had a local water company that wanted to do a charity wash. Was supposed to be advertised but wasn't. Were supposed to make professional looking signs but instead used a magic marker. They were going to have a group ladies wearing bikinis. Well they were less than profesional. They were in they're mid 20s but acted like they were in they're teens. Weather was bad ended up donating all business from wash to them for the day. Had several customers not happy they just wanted to wash and not be bothered. Would recomend. Selling tokens or washcards for fundraisers.

Etowah