What's new

Fried My Mars Validator

Buzzie8

Reaction score
I bought a used Hamilton change machine that already had a Mars 2631 validator in it. I bought a Happ flash unit to update it to the latest software and the update seemed to go fine (unit cycled at the end and everything was by the book). When I went to put the harness back in, my first mistake was I forgot to unplug the 110v to the unit. But I am about 95% sure that I plugged the harness into the lower end of the where it actually plugs into the validator that caused my problem. After I toasted it, (a big flash and a burnt smell) I checked to see if the harness could plug in the harness both at the very highest end and the lowest end and found out that it can plug in in two positions. I already bought another validator and I am pretty sure I will be OK if I plug it in as high as it will go. It looks like the conversion unit came from Etowah Valley. I want to make sure before I fry another one. Also, any ideas on the cost to put a new board in a Mars validator? Thanks for your help in advance.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Yeah, I let the smoke out of one of mine one day. I put the plug in upside down, which is probably what you did. I sent it back to Jim, he put some more smoke back in it and it works fine now. IIRC, it cost about 100 bucks. Our old buddy Randy can also fix those things too.

Randy

Reaction score
Yup!! You plugged it in backwards. That?s the problem with the Mars kit. You have to be VERY!! careful when you plug the harness back into the validator. I always put a mark on the harness to show the correct direction the plug goes into the validator. You should always unplug the equipment from the power source when you unplug or plug in the harness to the validator. Sent me an E-mail and I?ll send you a picture of how it?s suppose to be plugged in, I always put a mark on the plug. You?re looking at about $140 to fix your burned up validator, the board is around $110.00.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
seems like the mfgr has a plan to fail. why not simply use a plug that can only go in one way?

Randy

Reaction score
These pictures are the correct way that the Cycle Inhibit Harness plugs into the AE2631 validator. Any other way and the smoke will come out of the validator as Pat Hall has said. Another tip, always remove the validator from the equipment when you are servicing/upgrading the validator. This makes the job a lot easier.

Attachments

Buzzie8

Reaction score
Thanks Randy and everybody else.
The photos are a great help. I am almost sure that I plugged the harness into the bottom of the receptacle. I am not sure why they would design a harness that would allow you to do that but I learned an expensive lesson. It's interesting how the photo shows a small gray plug that would prevent you from doing what I did. Thanks again all!

MEP001

Reaction score
I agree that it shouldn't have been a problem. The plugs can easily be obtained to fill the entire receptacle and with the appropriate holes plugged to prevent incorrect insertion.