What's new

Freestyler or treadle question

tom mchugh

The Hood
Reaction score
Friday an older couple drove over the treadle and stopped with rear wheel on treadle. Of course they ignored all signs and my attendant wan't there at that moment. Next, Freestyler wash began on rear half of car. Next, wash faulted. Next, rear left wrap stops slightly behind car. Next, confused driver reverses and bends left rear wrap shaft. Result...Need new shaft for rear wrap. Shafts don't come with bendable couplings. Nice.

What is best way to idiot proof a machine with a treadle? More signage? Forward electric eyes or sonar?

Wash-A-Roo

Living off .25$
Reaction score
the best way to idiot proof is to not let women or old people was there!
But to try and really help you out....is there a way to put some type of sensor 5-7 feet past the machine that will sense a vehicle and not allow the wash. Lets say when the treadles on....wash comes on. But when the treadles on and the "outside dumbass" sensor is on at the same time.....wash doesnt come on. You would have to tweak it but it might be possible. How do you like your freestyler...would like to go see on in action. Have a tandem down the road, went thru it twice...first time the wash took over 7 minutes and the second time it broke down on me after the trifoam! Wasn't very impressed.

chiggybite

Reaction score
Trouble is if you try to make it idiot proof they'll just make a better idiot:p

tom mchugh

The Hood
Reaction score
I would like to go see on an action. It works great and 7 minutes doesn't make sense. Top wash is little less than 4 minutes.

DavidM

Reaction score
Is the Freestyler available with the VPS? We retrofitted our Vector with the VPS system when it came out and have never looked back. The VPS looks for the vehicle not just a tire which prevents this type of problem.

David

petitemoose

Reaction score
The freestyler does not have a VPS option. I went to their web site and ran their Freestyler Configurator and the VPS is not an option. Looks like your gonna have to suffer through the stupidity of the elderly American Driver like we do during snowbird season during the winter here in Florida!

Hmmmmm ... Lemme think a bit on this.

I think your best bet will be a magnetic loop in the ground towards the exit of the wash bay. Install the loop and have your electrician wire it IN SERIES with the Back Up prox switch before it heads back to the MCC. You can't use photo eyes as the Vector Arms will break the beam as it comes around the front of the car and make the Vector think the car has left the treadle. The arms are made out of Stainless Steel so they shouldn't affect the magnetic field.

briteauto

Reaction score
I agree that you first want to set up your machine to prevent anyone from starting the cycle with their rear wheel on the plate, but shouldn't there be a full brush retract when there is a fault like that?

I know some machines I have seen or worked with have this type of protection if the customer drives out before the cycle is complete. This prevents further damage to your machine if it occurs.

Mike

Tuskerwash

Reaction score
The freestyler does not have a VPS option. I went to their web site and ran their Freestyler Configurator and the VPS is not an option. Looks like your gonna have to suffer through the stupidity of the elderly American Driver like we do during snowbird season during the winter here in Florida!

Hmmmmm ... Lemme think a bit on this.

I think your best bet will be a magnetic loop in the ground towards the exit of the wash bay. Install the loop and have your electrician wire it IN SERIES with the Back Up prox switch before it heads back to the MCC. You can't use photo eyes as the Vector Arms will break the beam as it comes around the front of the car and make the Vector think the car has left the treadle. The arms are made out of Stainless Steel so they shouldn't affect the magnetic field.
Good to see you're here Petitemoose!!!! I'm coming back to the forum after a long time... I'm looking at Freestyler threads bc I got some issues with the finish on the machine. It does not look very popular here in the forum... Take care!