What's new

Free vacuum tokens

MEP001

Reaction score
I'm planning to dispense a token with the purchase of a wash from the automatic, and my first thought was to have them work in everything, valued at $1. Would you limit them to vacs only? Or maybe vacs and the auto, if they know they can get a $1 discount with each purchase it might generate more repeat business. Any thoughts that don't involve the $1 "goldie" coins are welcome.

Grandma

Reaction score
If you decide to allow token usage at your automatic, you may want to consider high security tokens. More expensive but will prevent other business's tokens from being used in your equipment.

MEP001

Reaction score
The tokens I have now aren't all that special, and I've found maybe six that aren't ours in eleven years. I'm expecting some token loss, so I want to keep that cost to a minimum.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I allow them to be used in autos at a 1.00 credit. It's probably not a bad time to implement a price hike on your autos if you had planned on one, as you can tell the customers they essentially get their dollar back in token form. In that case it's more of a loyalty thing.

My tokens are also good to be used for a 3:30 cycle in a self serve bay, which is a 2.00 credit. I inform customers they can use them to prep their vehicles prior to their next auto wash if needed, or they can touch up any areas (wheel wells, excess mud, bugs,etc. )they didn't get satisfactory cleaning. This goes over especially well with those that pre wash before going in the auto. It also is handy when I get the occasional malfunction call, as I can tell the customer to use the token to rinse any chemicals off the car.

Having said all that, probably 90% of the tokens I recover are in the vacs. I could probably improve usage in other devices with some signage.

My biggest problem is even after three years there are still probably 20% of the tokens left by customers. You're basically going to have to rig a dispenser to shoot one in their window via catapult to get 100% of the customers to get their token. Some still haven't picked up on it, Some just don't want it and think they're doing a nice thing leaving it for the next guy. But SS people have figured out to look for them before they get change, and some freeloaders are getting free SS washes. Probably the best way for me to counter that if I would get off my lazy butt is to put a PLC in my token dispenser and force a customer to push a button to get their free token. Carolina Pride has a small token dispenser that requires a button to be pushed. That design would probably save me money and eliminate the scavengers.

soapy

Reaction score
I would second the thoughts on the carolina pride unit with a push button for those who wish to have a token. I get a split of 50/50 back between the vacs and automatics. I also accept them in the SS bays and give a $1 credit. It took a while for people to figure it all out but it has been a good addition that I would do again.

BBE

Reaction score
We just installed 2 of the carolina pride token dispensers on our wash select II's a week or so ago. Much smaller units than some of the others out there. This also means that the hopper is a bit small as well. It's a very well engineered and well put together piece of equipment. Carolina Pride really did their R&D on it. As far as wiring and installation, I had both up and going in an afternoon.

So, I also would recommend the carolina pride units. They were easy to get a hold of, and we got a decent turn around on them after the initial order.

sparkey

Reaction score
I would second the thoughts on the carolina pride unit with a push button for those who wish to have a token. I get a split of 50/50 back between the vacs and automatics. I also accept them in the SS bays and give a $1 credit. It took a while for people to figure it all out but it has been a good addition that I would do again.
How much does the caralina pride token dispenser cost? I just checked out their website and it has no pricing info.

BBE

Reaction score
How much does the caralina pride token dispenser cost? I just checked out their website and it has no pricing info.
There is no info on their website about it. You will have to call them about it. They will pass you along to the national sales rep. He is surprisingly easy to get a hold of. I wanna say the price he quoted me was 1799 for one. I asked about a quantity discount for buying 2 at the same time, and he went down to 1599 each for buying 2.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I believe the carolina pride unit has a token capacity of 400. The coleman unit does not have a push button and has a money controls mark IV hopper, as well as an out of service (hopper empty) light. It also has an electronic horn that beeps when the token is dispensed. The biggest advantage there is the high capacity. I check mine about once per month. There is no logic in the Coleman unit. It has a nice omron 110v-24VDC power supply, a hopper, and a couple of relays, one for the hopper and one for the horn. It works off the wash outputs.

I intend to eventually modify my dispensers. I'd like to install a lighted pushbutton that gives the customer 60 seconds to push a button to get the token, and maybe even install something like a mini strobe that activates in the door to get the customer's attention. It's been on my "to do" list for over a year, but apparently I would rather sit here in front of the computer drinking coffee than actually get something accomplished at my washes. :) So Mep, buy the Coleman units, build the program and I'll be glad to field test it for you.

ETA: Does American still make the 8009? That might be the cheapest way to buy and modify yourself.

Last edited:

BBE

Reaction score
I believe the carolina pride unit has a token capacity of 400. The coleman unit does not have a push button and has a money controls mark IV hopper, as well as an out of service (hopper empty) light. It also has an electronic horn that beeps when the token is dispensed. The biggest advantage there is the high capacity. I check mine about once per month. There is no logic in the Coleman unit. It has a nice omron 110v-24VDC power supply, a hopper, and a couple of relays, one for the hopper and one for the horn. It works off the wash outputs.

I intend to eventually modify my dispensers. I'd like to install a lighted pushbutton that gives the customer 60 seconds to push a button to get the token, and maybe even install something like a mini strobe that activates in the door to get the customer's attention. It's been on my "to do" list for over a year, but apparently I would rather sit here in front of the computer drinking coffee than actually get something accomplished at my washes. :) So Mep, buy the Coleman units, build the program and I'll be glad to field test it for you.

ETA: Does American still make the 8009? That might be the cheapest way to buy and modify yourself.
The token capacity on the carolina pride units I think is dependant on what size tokens you use. They will ask you to send them at least 20 of the tokens that you are going to use so that they can test them with the hopper to make sure they will work. Our tokens are a little larger than a quarter in diameter, and about the same thickness. They had to put a different wheel in the hopper for our tokens. I've been meaning to do a search for a hopper capacity extender for the hoppers they use They use the same hoppers unitec uses in a wash select II. But as is, for us there is no way you can fit 400 of them in there. My best guess without counting is around 100.

The units have a PLC in them along with the relays. They already do exactly as you mentioned, the light flashes along with a horn beep. The default is 15 seconds for it to flash and beep and allow for the customer to get their token before their free token window expires. However you can change this to whatever time you want with the PLC.

My assumption is that it ties in with the wash in use signal. As soon as the customer pulls into the automatic, it shuts off their free token window, regardless of if the 15 seconds has been reached or not.

You can also set up how many tokens you would like to give for each of your 4 wash selections. So the top wash could get 2 tokens, while all the others get 1 for example. It also will show you how many tokens have been dispensed, and how many PER WASH have been dispensed as well.

Carolina pride really did their homework with these units. My only gripe would be the small token capacity, however this allows for the unit to be much smaller than the rest, and allows for a nice clean install. We were able to cut it into the brick that was already around our wash select II. So that both units are bricked in together.

wasiknator

Mike W
Reaction score
I believe the free vacuum token has worked out well for the wash. I gave out the free token for a year, did not raise prices, and now have gone up $1 on each wash this month. So far no backlash. Some customers save the tokens to get a free wash eventually or others use in the vacuums. Rarely do I see them only use one token to vacuum their entire car, usually I get additional money put into the vacuum.

steve569

Reaction score
We dispense a token for vacuum use with our top auto wash. We have Unitec Sentinels. We only let them use it for vacuums and no other wash services.
Washify's new auto cashiers do not have the option to dispense tokens. They are mainly focused on the tunnel market and all those folks think it is a good idea to have free vacuums.

Roz

Reaction score
We use our ICS AutoFlex to dispense tokens instead of coin change. Can program the number of tokens by the type of wash. We offer 2 tokens for the top wash, and one for the other 3 washes.

soonermajic

Reaction score
Looks like $1800 each or $200 discount if you order 2 or more.

fastlx

Reaction score
Newbie here. But I have a older Hamilton Goldline unit and was wondering if something like this would work on my unit? I also only want to use the tokens for the vacuums. But are there different coin acceptors for coins and another for tokens? my vacs take quarters now and dollars with crypto-pay coming soon.

Sorry if this has been explained before.

I just think it would be nice to give the customer the chance to vacuum after the wash ( like the big tunnel guys do)..

Any input is greatly appreciated....

Vic

MEP001

Reaction score
Newbie here. But I have a older Hamilton Goldline unit and was wondering if something like this would work on my unit?
It does.

I also only want to use the tokens for the vacuums. But are there different coin acceptors for coins and another for tokens? my vacs take quarters now and dollars with crypto-pay coming soon.
Most people use a multi-coin acceptor, but I have seen car washes with two separate acceptors to keep coins and tokens separated. It would require custom fabrication.

I just think it would be nice to give the customer the chance to vacuum after the wash ( like the big tunnel guys do)..
That's why I started the thread (six years ago), to try to compete with a nearby tunnel with free vacs.

Flex- Wand

Reaction score
The answer is yes, both autos,vac or self service. Like Greg said it increases the preseaved value of your service to your location EMP:cool: