What's new

Forum Members Beware....Washworld is watching

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
I recently posted a thread about the issues I was having with one of my two new Laserwash machines from PDQ, hoping that the forums exposure would allow me access to other owner / operators that might have had the same issues. There was some good feedback from others, including the PDQ engineers that seem to monitor this site on a daily basis and offer help. I then ended the thread with a posting that basically said all of the items had been remedied, and I was happily washing cars.

I have recently been sent a copy of a posting of "Washworld Online" from Dec 17th, 2009 where they took the liberty of referring to this forum, and editing my specific thread in order to disparage the Laserwash platform. Had they copied all of the thread they could have showed their distributor base that PDQ had remedied all of the initial problems. Instead they chose to only post the negative parts of the thread as an attempt to provide their distributors with a "marketing tool."

I have problems with this approach in a number of ways. # 1 If they are going to reference a posting on this site, they should copy the entire thread and not just the parts that make them look good. #2 I've never liked it when people justify their product by making the competition look bad. Don't tell me why they are bad....tell me why you are good! # 3 I think this strategy of monitoring our posts and misrepresenting them in order to use it as a marketing tool is a bit underhanded for a company like that.

I guess I shouldnt be surprised at such an underhanded approach when I consider its' origin. How sad for them......

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Not that I don't believe you, but can you post some links to prove it? I will say that if what you're saying is true, then that is an extremely poor stance for Washworld to take. I agree with you 100% that you don't need to resort to tactics like that if you make a good product and support it well.

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
I received it in an email. I dont know how to post it. I tried to copy it here, but that didnt work. If any of you know how to post it, I will email it to you.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Hey Guys, ScottV e-mailed me a copy of the newsletter and it looks legit. It appears as though they did take a few of the posts out of context (omission of certain details), but they did post a link to the specific thread here on the forum. It appears as though the newsletter was sent out to WW distributors in hopes that they could reference that thread as a reason to deter a sale of a new laserwash. Not the smartest move by WW in my opinion, but ScottV appears to be right.

I will try and get a screen capture of the newsletter and post it if possible.

Rich Andreas

Reaction score
ScottV:

In reference to your recent post in regards to the “Washworld Online” from December 17th, 2009. This was a private email message that was sent to Washworld Distributors, which is done on a periodic basis to elevate their awareness of products and news related to the car wash industry. This edition did include the thread information you posted along with the threads from those who had replied to your original post (i.e. “Kris Oliver” and "DiamondWash”) that were available at that time on December 17th along with a link to the Autocare Forum for them to view the entire post themselves. We are not sure how or why you obtained the email seeing it was not publically disseminated nor used as a “marketing tool” to disparage anyone’s products. We apologize that you received a copy of a private email and that you feel we were trying to make a competitor look bad, that was not our intent.

We have reviewed the thread and do see that additional posts were made after December 17th that further update your situation. We are glad to see that your distributor and manufacturer are providing you with support on your needs.

VP of Sales and Marketing
Washworld, Inc.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Since this was intended to be an internal document I see no real ethical issue here. I have worked for several different manufacturers and it is common practice to inform distributors with competitive information. The fact that they also posted a link for them to do further research reinforces my opinion that this was meant as a reference to educate their distributors, not a slam on a competitor to be used for the general public.

Like any other business in our industry the equipment business is extremely competitive. It is important for distributors to be well informed on what is going on in the industry, especially their competitors. Like many of the other quality equipment companies in this industry personally I have found Washworld to be ethically sound and a good company to deal with.

That being said I think even though this is a public forum and it was not meant for general public consumption, it would have been advisable to contact those whose posts were used to qualify their statements before sending them on to their distributors.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
As most of you know, I have been watching this and I am comfortable with the facts. The email was just that, not some marketing "brochure" or anything other than normal competition between two good companies. I have a copy of the email. It is obvious to me that one of WW's distributors or their employees wanted to cause a problem.

Both companies are sponsors to the Forum, because they are good companies. I think all of us would consider this post closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.