What's new

Foam Brush Swivels That Actually Swivel

sparkey

Reaction score
I am looking for a good foam brush swivel to use at the foam brush handle that actually turns before the hose tangles. I have tried a couple low pressure swivels and they turn so hard the hose gets all bound up before the swivel turns. Any suggestions?

Eric H

Reaction score
I've been using these for guns, Fb, and the top of the hoses for a couple of years and they last a long time: http://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-1543-kleen-rite-straight-swivels-38mxf-brass-3000-psi.aspx
I know that most operators in my area are using high pressure hose on the FB. When I have visited other areas I see that the FB hose is just rubber hose from the boom to the brush. IMO, the rubber hose is too flexible to keep from getting tangled and pinched off. Also, the bad guys can't cut though the hp hose and steal the foam brush as easily as they can cut through the cheap rubber hose.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
I use the same one as Eric on the FB, except I use the stainless version. They swivel fine for me for at least a couple years, and when they start to bind up a bit I know its time for a $2 repair kit after which they swivel fine again. FYI I use 2 swivels, one at the handle and one at the boom. I use the cheaper rubber hose, theft is rare for me.

Based on recommendations here on the forum I've also tried the one 2Biz linked to. That one works well for me too.
I rarely get FB hose tangles but if I had to pick I'd say the fluid controls ball bearing swivel (2biz link) is probably better for the FB, but I only have a year or so of experience with it, the others I've used for 15 years.

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
In reference to Eric's comment on using hp hose.... If you use 1/4" hp hose it is not that much heavier. Plus they are harder to steal like he said.... Which is nice plus.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I've often wondered about using 1/4' HP hose for FB. Will it work as good as 3/8" and not restrict? I use 3/8" hose like what you would use for air hose...I do have problems with it kinking when it gets cold out.

BTW...I see KR added a swivel like the Fluid Controls only sold under KR. It has a rebuildable SS insert like the FC ones but doesn't list the repair kit. I wonder if it is ball bearing like the FC?

https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-3244-kleen-rite-straight-swivel-38-fxf-3000-psi.aspx

MEP001

Reaction score
I use this one:

https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-1610-spraying-systems-break-away-swivel-38fxm-brass-800psi.aspx

They are rebuildable, but I don't rebuild them. They last 3-4 years, and by the time they start to leak they get pretty loose, so I doubt they would hold a kit.

Using a good hose is important. I've used hose that seems to naturally want to tangle and pinch no matter what. I make foam brush hoses with GoodYear Insta-Grip - it's expensive but it lasts as long as the swivel, and it's lighter and cheaper than 1/4" HP hose.

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
I wouldn't agree more with you mep1. I just purchased some premade fb hoses from CWS and they were instantly a problem. I usually use the insta-grip like you suggested.

The hp hose is for my other wash where they steal my foam brushes. But price really isn't the issue it's security.

I also use 1/4" hose all the way from the equipment room to the bays.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
When I was new to the SS bus an operator told me to use HP hose for the FB because the Lp hose often kinks which stps the weep.

Stuart

Reaction score
I use the SMC brass gun swivel, threaded on both ends.
On the inlet end of the fb handle I have the swivel then a street elbow then the hose into the elbow. My brushes are resting with the swivel end up so the hose isn't doing a 180 sitting on the wall. I have not had many problems with this for decades. Hope this helps.

sparkey

Reaction score
Have you tried this one?

http://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-1549-fluid-controls-ball-bearing-swivel-38fxm-brass-2000psi.aspx

I added this one to my HP hoses and it made a huge difference. No more binding hoses. There have been many threads started about which swivel is the best, and I think these have been the most popular.
I turned a couple of these swivels I had on the shelf. They seemed to turn a little harder than what I would like for the flimsey coiled foam brush hose.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
If your using coiled hose, then I'm wondering if a swivel will work at all? No matter how easy it turns. I have coiled hose on my Tri-Foam. It seems I have at least one bay every day I have to untangle. Come to think of it, the ends do not swivel. It came pre-assemble like that. I may try one of the FC swivels on the boom and see if it helps? Its worth a try....I don't know if you'll get a swivel that turns any easier than the FC...

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
The Spraying Systems swivel I linked turns very, very freely. It's so free I was concerned at first that they wouldn't last, but they hold up great. I was using the economy ones from Kleen-Rite before, and they'd only last about six months, and they never were as smooth or free.

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
On the inlet end of the fb handle I have the swivel then a street elbow then the hose into the elbow.
Similar to mine... My brushes are stored horizontally, so the hose always hangs straight down when the assembly is stowed.

sparkey

Reaction score
The Spraying Systems swivel I linked turns very, very freely. It's so free I was concerned at first that they wouldn't last, but they hold up great. I was using the economy ones from Kleen-Rite before, and they'd only last about six months, and they never were as smooth or free.
I will give one a try. I also don't use elbows going into the FB hose. Don't know if it would make a difference or not.

MEP001

Reaction score
I will give one a try. I also don't use elbows going into the FB hose. Don't know if it would make a difference or not.
It does help if your brushes hang horizontal and you have issues with the hose kinking or the bend restrictor breaking. I prefer the vertical hanger with the bracket way up on the wall so little kids can't get the brush down to slop it in mud. They seem to really like doing that.