What's new

foam brush only available seasonally to reduce waiting?

scout

Reaction score
We have a strong touchless bay customer base that utilizes all 3 bays in winter. We do not have any brushes yet. I am reluctant to put brushes in bays as we work hard with customers to get them in and out--we ask them to wash 1st then vac- and monitor bays to also ask customers to dry out on lot. So now we have most trained and they are used to fast washing. They flag us if we miss a new one. So brushes would slow down washing significantly. My thinking is to put in foam brush and pull DEC,Jan,Feb. we would say it slows down washing too much----and or brushes will freeze up?

any idea,s?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Tough question. Most wish they had this problem. IMNSHO in the SS business you are selling time. The more time each customer pays for so much the better. I can see how this might adversely afefect those who are waiting. As you say, get them started ASAP, don't make them go to changers by accepting bills and CC in the bays and get them to move out when time runs out.

Anti freeze FB soap eliminates FB freeze issues. There are other methods out there as well.

pgrzes

Reaction score
I would figure out how I could add more bays and the foam brushes!!! I would say 97% of our customers use FB. I say its a must have in SS carwash business!!!
Just My opinion!!

Stuart

Reaction score
I think you will have to judge for yourself if you believe putting in FB will benefit you and your customers.
Yes, it does take a customer more time when they use FB and you are getting paid for most of that time. FB is one of your highest profit selections in the wash bay.
If you put FB in you may see some customers leave due to wait time - question is do they come back or go to your competition and what do they offer for wash selections?
Your customers cars will be cleaner utilizing FB vs wand only.

Since your customers are so trained to get in & out, you may have difficulty getting many to use FB.
Does your competition have this service or would you be the first? It can be a boost to your business if you are the only wash with FB.
As for the winter months, this is the time of year when your customer would really use the FB on nice days due to the road salt and snow. Hope this helps.

MEP001

Reaction score
We have a strong touchless bay customer base that utilizes all 3 bays in winter. We do not have any brushes yet. I am reluctant to put brushes in bays as we work hard with customers to get them in and out--we ask them to wash 1st then vac- and monitor bays to also ask customers to dry out on lot. So now we have most trained and they are used to fast washing. They flag us if we miss a new one. So brushes would slow down washing significantly. My thinking is to put in foam brush and pull DEC,Jan,Feb. we would say it slows down washing too much----and or brushes will freeze up?

any idea,s?
Are you talking about adding foam brushes to your self-serve bays or prep brushes in front of your automatic bays?

Buzzie8

Reaction score
I am not clear on your problem either. If these are self-serve wand bays you want each customer to have the time running as long as possible. Foaming brush is usually one of the top services provided in a self-serve wand bay and a necessity IMO. I agree with Earl that this is a good problem to have. I would raise my prices and add FB and maybe even an air shammee and if the customer's are still lined up add a few more bays or open another wash nearby. My bays get busy on maybe 20-30 "thaw" days in the winter but I need to weigh this against the slower summer months. In any event, I want each customer in the bay as long as possible if the timer is running. Bucket washing and drying prohibited on these choice days.

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
In the unlikely event that my foam brush system is malfunctioning:
1. My phone will be lit up with dissatisfied customers
2. I will drop what I’m doing, travel to the facility and make necessary repairs
3. Send cash refunds to all complainants…along with a free car wash card worth $8.00!

Wintertime usage of foam brush is probably close to 90%.
Foam brush is second, only to Rinse in terms of most profitable bay products offered. And, customers spend more time rinsing after using foam brush.

Foam brush freeze protection is easily achieved with “winter foam” or my choice; a mildly sophisticated winterizer system.

I cannot imagine operating without foam brush. Oh, yeah…I can. The original system created more customer satisfaction issues because it worked so poorly, if at all. Besides fixing it almost daily, I had to replace many wands, brushes and hoses due to customer inflicted damage. It's replacement is so simple, in comparison. And uptime is close to 100% with my "mildly sophisticated winterizer system".

scout

Reaction score
Thanks for the well thought answers----the experience that you have is valuable to me. I am at $2 /4 min now. Robert Roman says we should raise prices to capture our perceived value---yet others say we should lower prices to drive volume---I really am reluctant to see 3-4 stack this winter and bays slow down due to success of FB system--the stress level in winter is real---I am going to reread post and think on all of this---

Thanks again--

MEP001

Reaction score
Thanks for the well thought answers----the experience that you have is valuable to me. I am at $2 /4 min now. Robert Roman says we should raise prices to capture our perceived value---yet others say we should lower prices to drive volume---I really am reluctant to see 3-4 stack this winter and bays slow down due to success of FB system--the stress level in winter is real---I am going to reread post and think on all of this---

Thanks again--
The only logical solution would be to add foam brush AND more bays, probably air shammees as well. Assuming your bays have doors, you'll have customers bucket washing and towel drying while they should be paying. Why not offer them something to spend their money on?

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
Scout you must have a older system which is fine where I live in NC I have never seen a carwash not have the foam brush option all the old timers tell me when the foam brush system came out in the 70's it was the bomb and presoak. I highly suggest getting foam brushes added and would recommend triple conditioner brush system if you do not have triple foam conditioner... Simple terms the brush changes 3 different colors of foam for the customer and they love it and Definetly use only Erie Hogs long hair bush heads do not go cheap and get nylon because people will not use them been there done that scratches cars ect.. hope this helps
Another option that is growing in SS is buy you a in bay hand held dryer think about it you only using electricity and air profit margins like a vacuum. Just start out with one in one bay at first. My customers love it

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Nylon brushes don't scratch cars.
They do when the customer begins their wash with a foam brush filled with the dirt from the previous user who dipped the brush in the soap on the ground left from the customer before them! lol

I know what you mean, just thought I'd throw that in there. That's how I explain it to my customers. It's not the foaming brush, it's the dirt in the bristles when you don't wash it out and when you don't wash off your car first. Nothing makes me cringe more than when someone pulls in, turns on the meter, grabs the foaming brush and starts going to town with it.

scout

Reaction score
Yes we are a previous Super wash and may have the last totally touchless car wash? So we have a wand and Foam Brush on side wall with it own boom. Where does the triple conditioner brush system fit in? The Erie hogs heads are top quality---We have a air shammee dryer in most used bay where it is used 80 hours in 2.5 years-----not a big hit----