What's new

Floss Pick in Coin Mech compartment.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Is there a reason I find Floss Picks occasionally in the coin mech compartment of various machines? Are some numb nuts trying to do something to the mechs?

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I find them on the ground a lot at the wash but never in a coin mech or coin path. I've often wondered the same thing, if they are trying to use them somehow to get something for nothing!

Randy

Reaction score
I also find a lot of Floss picks on the ground around the vac islands, I've never found one inside the coin mech. I also find a lot of bent paperclips on the ground that they try to use to start the vacuum, to bad it doesn't work with a electronic coin acceptor.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I’m betting they’re trying to trip the wire on those old acceptors with the wire that a quarter actually pushes down. I can’t imagine there’s over a handful of those things left.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I just assumed that the people that use them are nasty slobs and throw them down on the ground

MEP001

Reaction score
I just assumed that the people that use them are nasty slobs and throw them down on the ground
They seem to be, they use the floss picks, throw them on the floor of their car, then just dump the floormat on the ground.

I would assume it's kids picking up the floss picks and sticking them in the coin slot. I see them all the time picking up sticks and crap and jamming the acceptors.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I’m betting they’re trying to trip the wire on those old acceptors with the wire that a quarter actually pushes down. I can’t imagine there’s over a handful of those things left.
I have a few but it won't work because the switch is blocked at the return and the top slot is way to far. Maybe they don't know that because I found them in electronic acceptor compartments as well.

Roz

Reaction score
We used to see floss picks and bobby pins all over the place with the old equipment. I learned from a young customer how easy the old mechanical coin machines can be fooled - you can watch a YouTube video on the simple technique. With all the new equipment we installed in the bays and the new vacs that utilize electronic coin mechanisms the picks and pins have disappeared.

mac

Reaction score
A wise person once told me that we need more chlorine in the gene pool.

Alpine Dreams

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of this and I've even tried to duplicate the process myself after reading about it in the archives on this site. It's possible on 4 of my vacuums, but it takes a long time. I don't see it as something that makes me want to change coin acceptors. If someone wants to spend 10 minutes to get $1.25 in vacuum time, then whatever...

I wasn't able to duplicate the process with the dental pics. The large bobby pins, however, were possible. I assume a decent-sized paperclip would work also.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Tried to do it on one in the photo thru the return slot with the floss pick. . There is a piece of plastic directly in front of the switch that prevents a straight shot. i imagine a paperclip with some fancy bending might work.

MEP001

Reaction score
The paperclip is just bent down at ~60°. It slips right over the plastic and I can pull straight out on it and trip the coin switch. I don't think the floss pick will work, it's not even long enough.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
The paperclip is just bent down at ~60°. It slips right over the plastic and I can pull straight out on it and trip the coin switch. I don't think the floss pick will work, it's not even long enough.
Tried like heck last night on the bench holding the mech in my hand. Could not do it. Barely touched the coin switch let alon move it far enough. Good thing I have other stuff to fall back on.

MEP001

Reaction score
Maybe they've added something to defeat the attempt. The Coin Mech in the pic is 12 years old now.