What's new

Flojet Question...

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I have the typical flojet pump used for the lp functions. I think its the G57 model, I can't remember right off hand. Anyway, the 'muffler' keeps getting blown off and I wanted to check and see if I should watch the pump for some type of failure. When it's being used, I can see tire cleaner coming out of it, but it dissapates quickly and isn't dripping or anything like that.

Thoughts?

Reaction score
I have the same problem, and mine seem to fail soon after the muffler blows off.

Randy

Reaction score
Are you sure it’s Tire Cleaner and not air moisture coming out of the muffler. If you have any moisture in the system it will ice up in the muffler and the muffler will blow off. If your trying to use a Flo-jet pump on Tire Cleaner you should be using the model with the Viton seals, the Santoprene model should only be used on the Foam Brush system. I haven’t tried the new G56C pump with the Kalrez seals, they are suppose to hold up well for the more harsh chemicals. Does anyone have one of th new G56C pumps?
The best pump I've found to use with Tire Cleaner or Presoak is an electric Procon pump. One of mine has been installed almost 15 years, still running strong.

Last edited:

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Randy - no I'm not sure its moisture. I do know that I drain my compressor once a month and I don't usually have but a few drops of moisture there. What would I need to do to modify my setup to use a procon if I decided to change?

MEP001

Reaction score
Bubbles Galore said:
no I'm not sure its moisture.
Does that mean you don't know for sure whether it's leaking tire cleaner or just water condensation? You should have at least an oil/air separator inline to your FloJets. It's not unusual for the muffler to blow off if it gets wet, and it's not a sign of failure, but water in the pump will definitely shorten its life. Of the people who have complained to me how "crappy and unreliable FloJets are," not one of them had even the simplest prevention of keeping the normal condensate from reaching the air pumps. Four of our six original pumps are still working perfectly with a simple 3/4" Speedaire manual-drain regulator/separator unit, which I drain every day.

You may already have a system in place that would make changing to a Procon simple. You need a control for the motor and a regulator. A lot of systems "dead head" the FloJet with pressure on it all the time (like ours) and the solenoids to the bays do all the flow control.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Does that mean you don't know for sure whether it's leaking tire cleaner or just water condensation?
It doesn't appear to be tire cleaner, I tasted a little bit of it :D

You should have at least an oil/air separator inline to your FloJets. It's not unusual for the muffler to blow off if it gets wet, and it's not a sign of failure, but water in the pump will definitely shorten its life.
There is something in line, but to be quite honest I haven't done my best to make sure that everything is running optimally. :(It's kinda been one of those, find and fix when it's a problem. I'm trying to head this one off at the pass.

You may already have a system in place that would make changing to a Procon simple. You need a control for the motor and a regulator. A lot of systems "dead head" the FloJet with pressure on it all the time (like ours) and the solenoids to the bays do all the flow control.
My system is set up much like yours with the dead head on the pump and the solenoids control the flow out to the bays.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
1. Moisture kills flo jets. Note that as air travels from the compressor it cools and moisture condenses out. So, you need the water filter / seperator as close as possible to the flo jets. Mc Master car sells some auto dump drains but they periodicaly need to be checked to make sure they are working. If your filter / seperator is not near the flo jets install another.
2. Seems you have Tire cleaner somehow backing up into the air line. Is this issue at the flo jet for tire cleaner or another flojet? You may need a check valve on the airlien either where the air and tire cleaner lines meet.
3. Have dozens of flo jets in operation. Some keep losing their mufflers. In some cases the exhaust air has condensed and frosted on the muffler and blown it off. In others the case is unknown. I basicaly stopped caring.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
1. I will be getting water filter/separator asap. I should know better, it's just something that has skipped my mind.

2. Not sure what you mean, but I think what I see coming out of the muffler is condensation, not tire cleaner.

3. Good to know :D

Reaction score
Flo Jet

I have installed two of the new pumps that are suppose to handle harsh chemicals, to early to tell. The old ones sure dont seem to last long, even with the tri foam....

Etowah