What's new

Flojet Issues

JamboWash

Reaction score
Hello
I have 3 flojets fail with air leaking from the exhaust valve one being almost 1 year old , i do have air dryer for the compressed air so the air is mositure free, what could be causing this issue on the flojets failing and should i buy new flojets or repair kits if so what kit should i purchase that would fix the issue i have vinton and santo flojets

Randy

Reaction score
We've pretty much gotten away from using the Flojet pumps for the very reason your having. We've been using the Procon pumps for most of our low pressure functions.

mfbanks223

Reaction score
I use the Viton Flojets and I don't have air dryers and they don't last that long at all. I have bought the air dryers just have not installed yet. I would be interested to know what model Procon pump you changed over to Randy??????

MEP001

Reaction score

Procon specs say to use a bypass regulator, but several equipment manufacturers build their stuff without any regulators using the pump's internal popoff and the pumps still last many years.

Keep an eye out for a Zoro 20% off code for the best price. I found a source for motors online with excellent prices, but shipping was very high. Zoro 20% and free shipping ended up much cheaper.

OurTown

Reaction score
Could some of the issues with these Flojets be that they are now made in China and the quality is not there anymore? Also Mep is that Procon pump and motor you linked to good for tire cleaner and presoak? The psi seems high so I assume it needs a regulator? To me it seems difficult to compare the two pump designs. The typical Procon (if there is one) seems to be lower volume and higher psi than the typical Flojet.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Due to issues with procon Coleman switched to fluid o tech rotary vane pumps years ago with the built in adjustable relief valve and they work great. Coleman uses the small pumps with 3/8" ports on their SS pump stand for all functions and they work fine. I even use the brass pumps on tire cleaner on my IBAs(which is more aggressive than SS tire cleaner) and they last for years. I just replaced a tire cleaner pump on my water wizard pump stand that was seven years old for about the same cost as a flojet.

Randy

Reaction score
Could some of the issues with these Flojets be that they are now made in China and the quality is not there anymore? Also Mep is that Procon pump and motor you linked to good for tire cleaner and presoak? The psi seems high so I assume it needs a regulator? To me it seems difficult to compare the two pump designs. The typical Procon (if there is one) seems to be lower volume and higher psi than the typical Flojet.
About 15 years ago we field tested the Flojet G57 pump for about 2 years. I think we must have tested 2 dozen G57 pumps before they were released to the industry. The go to pump before the G57 was the N5100, it worked pretty well, not as much flow as the G57 but it worked. The G57 was only made in the US for a short time before they were made in China. We’d never use a Flojet pump on Tire Cleaner or Presoak. The only place we use the Flojet pump is on the Foam brush system, only because we have a number of spare pumps, when they are gone we’ll switch it over to a Procon pump.

JamboWash

Reaction score
About 15 years ago we field tested the Flojet G57 pump for about 2 years. I think we must have tested 2 dozen G57 pumps before they were released to the industry. The go to pump before the G57 was the N5100, it worked pretty well, not as much flow as the G57 but it worked. The G57 was only made in the US for a short time before they were made in China. We’d never use a Flojet pump on Tire Cleaner or Presoak. The only place we use the Flojet pump is on the Foam brush system, only because we have a number of spare pumps, when they are gone we’ll switch it over to a Procon pump.
What model of procon pump are you using ? , my major failures have been on the presoak and tire cleaner

MEP001

Reaction score
The one I linked is definitely good for anything high-pH in a car wash, don't know about low-pH. Procon has a material compatibility chart.

It has an internal pop-off that you can adjust as low as you need, but I prefer to use a bypass regulator. Coleman units use it and put a liquid regulator at the solenoids, which might be why they had issues - they didn't even adjust them down.

The Procon I linked is definitely lower GPM and higher max pressure, but for anything except a high-volume presoak it's sufficient.

steve569

Reaction score
Do you start the motor with a contactor or use a pressure switch and a bladder tank?

Randy

Reaction score
What model of procon pump are you using ? , my major failures have been on the presoak and tire cleaner
We run a Procon 104B190R11XX KR#PPCB2505AV. This pump puts out 190gph at around 250psi. We use a pump that puts out a higher GPH so if someone else selects tire cleaner or Presoak there going to get product. Off of our chemical supply tank and before the pump we use an 80 mesh Inline Strainer KR#PU07104, this protects the pump from any debris that might be in the tank. On the discharge side of the pump we use a Spraying Systems AA110-3/8-HSS-3 3/8" Pressure Relief Valve KR# RES110300. We route the discharge off the relief valve back to the chemical supply tank, this keeps the cool and provides lubrication to the pump. We set the relief valve to around 140psi. We use 1/3 hp motor to run the pump. A good place to buy a motor is on EBay. Enter in the search “Carbonator pump motor” there’s a lot of them on EBay. Don’t buy a stainless steel pump head, the internals of the Procon pump are stainless steel. We mount the motor and pump slightly lower than the supply tank so the pump is in a flooded state all the time. We control the pump motor with an IDX MX-8 multiplexer. We've used this set up for well over 20 years and have had very few problems with it. I’ll try to remember to take some pictures next time I go the car wash.

MEP001

Reaction score

24 VAC INPUT = One lead from each bay attached to load from switch
24 VAC (COMMON) = All "common" sides of bays combined
EARTH GROUND = Just there for convenience, it does literally nothing inside the unit
OUTPUT (POWER) = The supply voltage you're switching, can be up to 15A 120V
OUTPUT (LOAD) = Voltage out to whatever you're turning on

If you plan on switching a heavy load, it's a good idea to use a secondary relay.