What's new

Flojet Air Pumps

CCAR

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed several times, but I'm still not clear on a few things. Are you supposed to run an air dryer/filter unit on your air compressor if you are using these pumps? Or, are you supposed to use a regulator/filter combo unit right before the pump? If you look at most new low pressure systems that are for sale they have one of these installed on them. I currently have none of the above installed at my car wash. When I do some repairs on my system I notice that the air line has some oil in it. It would be nice if somebody from flojet could answer this question. I have had mixed results with these pumps, but overall I like the size and easy change-over aspect and for the most part reliability has been good. I can't help but think an airdryer/filter would give me better longevity.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Her are my thoughts. Air dryers are great, but not cheap.

As air is compressed, it heats up and then has the ability to absorb and retain more moisture. As it expannds it cools and the moisture condenses out. I do not have air dryers at the compressor but can't help but wonder how dry it gets the air. As the air travels past the dryer and cools particularly in some areas will more moisture condens out?

What I do is have my flo jets on a single line and as close as posiible to the first line I have a filter which traps the moisture. I now try to get ones that empty themselves periodiacly.

Here is one sample:

http://www.youtube.com/user/EarlWeiss#p/u/9/pyNC_Rjs8c0

MEP001

Reaction score
Oil and water in the air lines is really hard on a FloJet. You should have at least a water separator/filter on the line. If there's oil getting in with the air, you have a problem with the compressor, or it wasn't "broken in" properly.

I only have a water separator/filter on the line and have very little problems with the FloJets.

CCAR

Reaction score
Oil and water in the air lines is really hard on a FloJet. You should have at least a water separator/filter on the line. If there's oil getting in with the air, you have a problem with the compressor, or it wasn't "broken in" properly.

I only have a water separator/filter on the line and have very little problems with the FloJets.
The previous air compressor that was with the wash when we purchased it did the same thing. When the motor failed I replaced the compressor with one I had at my shop. This one is old as well but still works. If there is not supposed to be oil in the lines I guess its time to go shopping for a new one. I've heard that Quincy's are the best. What type of water separator/filter do you use?

MEP001

Reaction score
Just a plain Speedaire 1/2" unit with manual drain and regulator. It should help remove the oil as well.

bigleo48

Reaction score
I've had my wash from new and is now 7 years old. I have many flojets (28) and all I have a auto-drain on the compressor tank. Most of my flojets are original and the only problem I have is drying seals on the air side that I easily repair with a little Vaseline.

I consider my flojets as very reliable and trouble free.

Randy

Reaction score
I guess we must be living right. We don’t have any filters or oil/water separators on the air supply to the Flo Jet pumps. Since the G57 came out, I think I’ve replaced maybe 2 pumps. We field tested them for Flo-Jet before they came out, I think that was about 15 years ago. We only drain the air compressor about once a month and then we only get about a pint of water out of the tank. The air compressor is a 17 years old Sanborn at that wash.