What's new

Flex Wands, Stainless Steel or Galvanized?

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I use galvanized flex wands, only because the previous owner left me with about 10-12 spares. I don't seem to have any "Galvanized" issues with them that I know of. I am down to only having a few spares left and either need to repair the ones I have or buy new ones. People hook the HP hose on a mirror/bumper and the wands always break at the gun. I see KR has galvanized or SS wands. Price isn't a big factor, about $5.00 difference. I was wondering about how easily the SS "Breaks Away" v/s the galvanized which would be a big factor? Also you can rethread the galvanized a few times before needing to pitch them. I'm also wondering how easy it is to re-thread SS v/s galvanized? Thoughts?

Stuart

Reaction score
I make my own wands. I buy a 21 foot stick of galvanized pipe, cut it into 18" wands (I get 14 wands out of a stick). Have a Rigid manual pipe die and handle and thread the wands- 1/4" MPT.
Then I have vinyl clear hose cut to 16" to put on pipe. The shortest I have a wand online is 17.5" so I could get some life from each wand if broken.
Gun on one end=coupler w/nozzle on the other. Use plenty of thread cutting oil so not to break the threading teeth on the tool. I can make 14 wands for the price of about 3 from the carwash distributer.

I have different die sizes for 3/8 & 1/2 pipe .

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
I have used "used" guns with galvanized and they have had leaks where they were corroded?

But, I have used stainless steel for 9 long hard years! :) I use 1/4" MPT x 1/4" MPT I just don't like how my tip protector things rust. I had no idea ss was crappy? I don't think I have had any issues? Except when people run over them.

I purchased those flex wands for my other wash when kr just started selling them.... now the price has gone up. I never had a problem with them. I don't really like them because they have to much flex and are annoying to me when putting them in the wand holder.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
We only use Flex Wands from Hamel mfg. 13 years later and no problems with any of there products: wand guns, tip protectors, flex wands, foam brush handles, brush holders.

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
We only use Flex Wands from Hamel mfg. 13 years later and no problems with any of there products: wand guns, tip protectors, flex wands, foam brush handles, brush holders.
I liked that Hamel is a US product. I also liked that they are a family business and that story about their plant burning down because they had an old calculator or lamp or something that catch fire? Was messed up.... Unless I remember totally wrong? :)

Anyway.... My Dad use to use there wands. I never liked how unless the customer put the wand all the way in the holder the weight from the gun would bend the wand. Then the wand would always be bent when using the gun.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I go with stainless, non-flex wands. I used to use nothing but the flex, but they would just get too dingy too quickly. And as cwguy says, if not put all the way in the holder they'll get a bend in them.

Both have pros and cons, the question is which cons do you want to tolerate?

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
IMO, a breakaway fitting shouldn't be necessary. If wands or breakaways are getting broken, there's usually a cause that needs to be addressed.
You're right. My booms don't "Home" which is most of the problem. The wash also has streets on 3 sides. So people can come in the back way. That's what happened this weekend. Guy pulled in and drove through a bay, just to get a pop...He hooked his mirror on the hose and snapped the wand. Its not a huge issue. Maybe 2-3 per year...