What's new

Fixing an obsolete system

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
My 15 year old Bruner twin water softener system lost it?s mind. The obsolete IQS/3 controllers quit communicating?requiring a change from 2-tank alternating to single tank parallel operation.

Then, the capacity dropped from 12,000 gallons to less than 8,000 gallons. Troubleshooting found significantly lowered brine draw. I disassembled and cleaned all the associated components to no avail... and finding replacement parts has become quite difficult (read obsolete, again).

Not wishing to spend $4K on a new softener system, I started tinkering?with a SmartRelay, three solenoid valves, a Flojet pump, some fittings and poly tubing.

My system now pumps brine into the softeners...restoring each softener to their expected 12,000 gallon capacity?YEA!

With that success, I added one more money saving feature?a brine reclaim system. Using a 3-way Erie zone valve, I programmed the Smartrelay to redirect the last 15 minutes of slow rinse back into the brine tank?refilling the tank with strong brine that usually just runs down the drain. And, to reduce the possibility of calcium saturation reducing the brine?s effectiveness, I added a counter to the program?eliminating the brine reclaim every fourth regeneration cycle.

So, for less than $500, I?ve restored and extended the life of my obsolete softener system and reduced salt consumption by at least 50%...(over 1800 lbs of salt savings annually?8 fewer trips to Sam?s Club?and considerably less wear and tear on my wimpy back muscles.)

mac

Reaction score
Trust me, you deserve an atta boy for that one. Of all the components at a wash, the softener is the least understood. When the main components do retire, you can just put on a new head and rebed the tank. Still cheaper than a whole new unit.

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
I’m already planning for the eventual failure of the IQS/3 cycle controllers. They’re electronic/mechanical…measuring flow rates and volume, and controlling the softener’s hydraulic valves via a motorized spool valve.

While I can expect a blown valve diaphragm or two over the next few years…spares are still available at reasonable cost.

The valve bodies are cast iron…unless they get damaged by a tornado or meteorite, I’m pretty comfortable with them lasting beyond my time.

But…those IQS/3 controllers and spool valves have me nervously anticipating a system control failure. There are a couple of old Bruner distributors offering IQS replacements, but at $1,200/each, they’re not an attractive option.

So…when they fail, I’m ready with my plan to keep them working. By replacing the spool valve with two N/O 3-way solenoid valves and two N/C 3-way solenoid valves and reprogramming the Smartrelay to control the regeneration sequence, I can have them back in service in just a few hours. The program is written…the solenoids are readily available…I’m just waiting.

Hummm…$2400 for new controllers…or $800 for solenoid valves? What should I do???

MEP001

Reaction score
That cast iron head will eventually rot away. I've replaced many of those Bruner units, most of which had steel tanks with roofing screws plugging a bunch of holes, with Fleck softeners. $4,000 seems like a lot for a softener - you should be able to get a 9500 and two tanks each with 4 cubic feet of resin for less than that.