What's new

Finally a credit card reader that accepts tap and chip cards

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
I just installed 5 Monex readers in all my SS bays. Customer support has been great at the customers love them. I have a different brand of reader at my tellers for the IBA.

Fatboy769

Living the American Dream
Reaction score
I just installed 5 Monex readers in all my SS bays. Customer support has been great at the customers love them. I have a different brand of reader at my tellers for the IBA.
Have you had them installed long enough to see what percentage you are paying in fees?

Since 1972

Reaction score
keep an eye on your local small banks and credit unions with master card and visa logo. Monex will not accept these cards a lot of smaller financial institutions process them like a check. I was selling customers tokens with these cards using my Apple Terminal sometimes 70 per month. We have attendants on duty during daily light hours. If Monex works out for you I have several for sale. Also they will last about 7 months in your self service bays I was looking at around $2,500 per year to replace. My location is busy for a small car wash we do a lot of promotions and community partnerships.

G WASH

Reaction score
Are you able to remotely start a wash? I read a few months ago they were working on that. Did they say when the gift card/loyalty card feature would be out of beta testing? In the second photo is there a back cover to the unit that has been removed?
No there is no cover and I have had 2 that have sweated ..shortly after install.. Raj the tech at Monex went on about how that was just not possible that these units can work and you know these super low temperatures which is true but here's the problem when you are putting them in a fragrance vac well you're having to drill a hole somewhere in the cabinetry or you know the stainless steel and you have heaters elements you know those electric pads they keep everything in there nice and warm but you also have three 1 gallon containers that have either water base or oil base fragrance in them so there's a warm moist atmosphere and what became obvious after one shorted was that you know some condensation is going to take place when you have something very warm and moist that's inside of there and then you get cold temperatures outside of course condensation So when I told them this I mean it's shorted after it wasn't even quite a month and sure enough I have a fragrance vacuum each car wash when I went to the other car wash Well I could see where it was starting to form some drips of water on that back side and when I took it out it was starting to mess the screen up you could clearly tell So I've told Raj said look that thing may be all this weatherproofing on the top bottom sides and front but it's not on the back that's why it's important that the thing get you know put on a nice flat surface and drawn up tight but on a fragrance vac machine you need to really silicone where your wires are going through or you're going to get a short enough moisture it's in there He's like always this just not possible you know it's like well then take one off and spit on the back of it a couple times and see if it don't short out cuz that's exactly what has happened They finally reluctantly replace one of them after half a dozen phone calls about it some people just have a hard time with the truth but my experience has been that they're 2% was nowhere near 2% My all-in was between 17 and 18%. I got to keep about 82% which is just crazy. Even with their proposed changes their new proposal when I run the numbers it's 12% which is a lot better than 18 but they're advertising says commensurate with crypto pay and as many of the members here have told me they're all in gross minus fees and stuff is 4 and 1/2%. Well 18's not commensurate with four and a half and 12's not commensurate with four and a half. One of my car washes it worked out to 17.1% and the other one was 18.2 I asked them how was I to compete with the car washes close to me that had crypto that were paying four and a half percent literally at 17 and 18%, I wasn't making any money and so I'd laid out over $16,000 on your readers and honestly if that rate by the time those things ever got paid for it would probably be 5 years and in 5 years I don't think a single one of them would be running So to say the least if I had my chance I would go back in time and absolutely not mess with that company and of course they say it's TSYS that has just gone off the rails on all these fees and charges so yeah the tap and go works good on it you know there's some things that are great about it but not if you're not making money here's an example month December 2023 my 5th month wash A gross Monex sales was 1,540 and wash B was 1,009 combined= 2,549. Monex took 269.20 in fees etc.for A and 185.54 for a combined 454$. So on 2,549. They got 454.$. I paid cash for 27 swipers..so there are no one time fees left after 5 months.. I asked the rep Brendan will so Is this ever going to lower or is this what I can expect from here on out he said this is what you can expect from now and acted as though he didn't have a problem with it which I'm sure he doesn't I have a hell of a problem with it Only one making any money off these things is them in 17.81% is what it works out to is not commensurate with 4.5% I would take my investment and my time that I took installing them and educating myself as to because their instructions unless you've got the exact timer that they would have you use It was a whole educating process Now I'm going to have to do you know even more learning and probably have to go somewhere other than TSYS because they are just incredibly expensive I've got a 8:30 credit score so it ain't for any reason other than they're just gigging and even if they're proposed changes it's still going to be 12%, so I don't suggest any car wash owners get involved with Monex save your money time and effort for those of you that don't like the crypto what can I tell you 4 and 1/2% seems like a bargain me and yeah my contracts is 2% but that's not even close to true and I told him straight up I said minutes you know how am I to compete with the crypto guys that are only paying four and a half percent bottom line is I can't and I said you know I guess I'll just have to charge my credit card customers a lot more They said well you can't do that So why the hell am I Well it just runs off of your timer and your timer is set for your cash people and they claim that there's no way to charge more and it's a fiasco but when someone's advertising says commensurate with the competition I take that to mean within 1%. I think any reasonable person would take that to me that and nobody in their right mind would ever say that 17 or 18% or 12% is commensurate with four and a half percent so that's my experience and I wish that I could have read here whenever I was looking into Monex there was no one raising red flags about this so save y'all's money I mean and I think they're going to end up in a class action lawsuit because you know they're not dealing with the truth I would take my original investment back in a heartbeat and just go back to cash because I feel like I'm losing some cash customers or turning into these credit card customers and I'm making 18% less now So how did this benefit my business I don't see that it has at all .. and someone that represents Monex you know came on here and said you know to send them my stuff and well I haven't seen anything become of that and these people need to get their mind right because they are going to get in a class action lawsuit I'd be the first to join and I know they advertise here so this car wash form going to back the owners or back their advertisers because this is some well I'm from Texas we call this b*******

G WASH

Reaction score
Have you had them installed long enough to see what percentage you are paying in fees?
Yes as I explained 2549 in sales made $454 in fees. And that's been consistent for the 6 months I have had them. And my contracts say 2%. August $ 1,962 in sales amount deducted 285.42 . September 3,128$ in sales The best month I've had with the credit card swipers in place and the percentage did fall from 1718% down to 12.34 so when the sales increased it got better but that's still not 4.500 which is what cryptocurrency people are telling me they're all in is and unfortunately that trend did not continue in large part because of their poorly worded signage that says to end all charges press the stop button on the terminal I think if it said on the card reader it would have been much better because my bay doors the old dealing in Harris select twos have as the top red button is in fact a stop button and so they're hitting stop on the bay door rather than the card reader which really doesn't have a button it has a LCD screen with a red bar that says stopped and so they're hitting the stop on the door not on the card reader and I think so many people have been shocked and I've lowered the max pay not the 20 or 15 but down to 12 that they have to pay and they feel like somebody's playing got you with them so I created my own new base sign to trying to alleviate some of that problem but I think so many of them got a bad flavor in their mouth over it that it's been going the opposite direction ever since And frankly I'm somewhat relieved because I feel like I'm not making anything off the credit card people I'd much rather just left it as it were because I have put over 15,000 cash in on these readers and hundreds of ours of me installing having to figure out on my own how they work with say any timer not a dixmor. It's been a total money toss and their new proposal still gets nowhere close to making it commensurate with what everyone on crypto pay tells me they're paying So why would you want any of them at your place

Fatboy769

Living the American Dream
Reaction score
[QUOTE="G WASH, post: 191111, So why would you want any of them at your place
[/QUOTE]

Actually, they would be for a couple of customers. If fees are that high, I'm sure they wouldn't be interested at all.

Kevin James

Reaction score
G Wash you should count your lucky stars you don’t have to pay sales tax on your car wash sales, that’ll really put a bite into your profit margin.

What a lot of Car wash operators don’t know is these credit readers, Monex, Nayax, Cantaloupe are not made for the car wash industry. These companies’ customer/technical support departments could give 2 good $hits about the car wash industry. They don’t know anything about the workings of the car wash industry. These credit card readers are made for the vending industry, and they are normally installed on a vending machine that is in a nice warm office break room or in a warehouse break room, they are not made for the car wash environment, and they are barely water resistant. The car wash industry isn’t even a blip on there radar screen so to speak. We have one card reader on the front of our bill changers and they get used a lot. We keep a couple of spares because they don’t hold up well in the car wash environment, mostly from abuse.

Since 1972

Reaction score
Amen!!!

always remember the ICA is only a booth rental company. They do not vet anyone and will let any hustler with the money rent. The ICA DOES NOT represent YOU they represent their back pocket!!! #boycotttheica

dclark3344

Reaction score
Gwash, it looks like you are probably worst case scenario. A couple of quick observations:

If I read this right your ticket average is less than $4.00? I think you need to figure out a way to get those way up by going to count up, etc. I have an average of $12 but I have IBAs.

I see some 1.00 transactions. That's going to skew things badly especially if you have a swipe fee.

I'm assuming you have fixed monthly fees per terminal? That's going to also skew things badly at a low grossing wash.

At the very least, consider going up .25 on everything to cover the credit card fees, but especially on whatever yo're chargng 1.00 for.
Are you accepting CC in the bay or vacs? what system are you using

buckeye3847

Reaction score
I pre ordered 38 of the new cryptopay tap reader. Replacing 19 Nayax readers and older cryptopay readers. Had Nayax for few years on only vacs and some are starting to fail. Have had some cryptopay swipers for almost 10 years and still working. Cryptopay website is is ALOT more user friendly also. Im happy they finally came out with new reader.

Hey. So when yours fail, do you mean they konk out and don't power back on or do they just fail to activate the equipment even though they process the transaction. I'm on my first round of replacement nayax units for all 4 of my bays due to the units just not pulsing the timer coin switch anymore. Everything else appears to be working fine except the pulse functionality ceases to operate, making the units not as helpful (you have one job!). It's super strange because the readers seem fine otherwise, but nayax support can confirm they just arent sending out any pulses after processing the other parts of the transaction. I dont know why that is such a weak point in the hardware when all other parameters are the same.

Reaction score
Yes as I explained 2549 in sales made $454 in fees. And that's been consistent for the 6 months I have had them. And my contracts say 2%. August $ 1,962 in sales amount deducted 285.42 . September 3,128$ in sales The best month I've had with the credit card swipers in place and the percentage did fall from 1718% down to 12.34 so when the sales increased it got better but that's still not 4.500 which is what cryptocurrency people are telling me they're all in is and unfortunately that trend did not continue in large part because of their poorly worded signage that says to end all charges press the stop button on the terminal I think if it said on the card reader it would have been much better because my bay doors the old dealing in Harris select twos have as the top red button is in fact a stop button and so they're hitting stop on the bay door rather than the card reader which really doesn't have a button it has a LCD screen with a red bar that says stopped and so they're hitting the stop on the door not on the card reader and I think so many people have been shocked and I've lowered the max pay not the 20 or 15 but down to 12 that they have to pay and they feel like somebody's playing got you with them so I created my own new base sign to trying to alleviate some of that problem but I think so many of them got a bad flavor in their mouth over it that it's been going the opposite direction ever since And frankly I'm somewhat relieved because I feel like I'm not making anything off the credit card people I'd much rather just left it as it were because I have put over 15,000 cash in on these readers and hundreds of ours of me installing having to figure out on my own how they work with say any timer not a dixmor. It's been a total money toss and their new proposal still gets nowhere close to making it commensurate with what everyone on crypto pay tells me they're paying So why would you want any of them at your place
I'm curious, are the fees paid covering the credit card fees as well? Or is that all just for Monex? And what are you getting from Monex for that type of monthly fee?

As another player in the industry with Tap-to-Pay and mobile app options, the fees are baffling even to me.

Monte

Reaction score
I'm trying to find out about what CC/contact less units people are using on there IBAs. I have all Portal Tiplus units. Apparently, Crypto doesn't offer retro-kit on these...cause, that would definitely be my first choice.