What's new

FAQ - Essential Business and COVID-19 Shutdowns

zachavm

Reaction score
I came here earlier today looking for some answers as my state (Oklahoma) has now instituted an Essential Business Only shutdown. What I found was a lot of conflicting information as many don't know what is fact and our resources are not always clear. Hence, I'm starting this to help people out and share what I have learned. I'll try to keep this updated with additional info I receive and correct any mistakes I made. Post or DM me if you have anything to add. Let's make this the best it can be to help everyone.

How are Essential Businesses Defined?

For most states, Essential Businesses are defined by the following site:

Note however that each state will still have it's own definition. You need to confirm they are using these guidelines and make sure you make the right call.

Are Car Washes Defined as Essential Businesses?

Yes, under the definitions cited, Car Washes are considered Essential Businesses. Our Federal Industry Code is 811192. This puts us under the greater Industry group of 8111 which is defined as "Automotive Repair and Maintenance".

On the site previously mentioned under "Transportation and Logistics", it clearly cites "Automotive repair and maintenance facilities" as essential business.

Why are Car Washes Considered Essential Business?

Yes, I know this is confusing. For many of us, our primary customer is suburban Joe trying to keep his barely affordable Camaro nice and shiny. However, for many industrial purposes keeping clean is actually essential to prevent vehicles and equipment from breaking down.

Examples:
  • More rural washes (like my own) will get a lot of traffic from farm vehicles. Keeping this equipment clean is essential to operations and support our food supply.
  • Does your wash have a semi truck bay? Semi Trucks experience very high usage and keeping them is very important to preventing issues.
  • Does your area experience a lot of winter weather with salt and/or sand on the roads? If so, cleaning that off vehicles is critical for the long term wear and tear.
These, and many other cases, are examples of our washes being critical to supporting the industries that supply our people with the products they need to survive. Only you can decide if your wash should close. If your costs mean you are actually losing money by staying open then by all means shut down. However, know that your business may be supporting more essential operations than you realize.

Last edited:

xcite

Reaction score
I had a discussion with my supplier yesterday and what many people don't know is that most presoaks and high pressure detergents actually kill bacteria and viruses.

This is the main argument for staying open during this event.

I am having a couple banners made up to inform the public about this. Just be careful of the wording if you do this also.

imserve

Reaction score
As is usually the case, using common sense is what will shorten this thing....apart from any government order, I would should down my unattended wash immediately if I felt it was a risk at spreading the virus

SLEDGE

Reaction score
Arkansas 280 cases. Restaurants are carry out or delivery only, bars, beauty salons and tattoo parlors closed so far.

zachavm

Reaction score
yes, was thinking of credit card only.
Other than maybe the change machine, cash wouldn't really be spreading it between customers. Just possibly to you when you collect the cash. We are using gloves to do that and leaving the cash in the garage for a few days.

I would think the wands would be a much bigger cause.

I've considered putting out wipes for customers, but I can't think of any realistic way to implement it.

Lilwarrenb

Reaction score
I have boxes or gloves as well I wanted to put out but I know that with everyone hoarding like they do unfortunately the first person that came in would steal all of them to take home for personal use.