What's new

Ever see a detailer do this?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah I've seen that before. It's not recommended.

Remember,there's good and bad in every profession, from doctors and dentists to lawyers, plumbers and car detailers.

mjc3333

Reaction score
I had a detailer tell me during an interview that's the way they detail interiors.

I showed them the door!!!!

JustaGuy

Reaction score
Yeah I've seen that before. It's not recommended.
And the "Understatement of the Year" award goes to (drum roll please!)...

Waxman!

But seriously, why would anyone think it was a good idea, especially in today's modern cars with so much electronics and eleictrical controls?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
And the "Understatement of the Year" award goes to (drum roll please!)...

Waxman!

But seriously, why would anyone think it was a good idea, especially in today's modern cars with so much electronics and eleictrical controls?
Lots of old school car cleaners would do cars like that to prep for auction. I bet it's a lot more common than you think. Of course it's bad for the electronics. If a car is headed to auction, the seller may not care if the rear window switches work.

I can think of a few instances where this method would be used, like of there were serious injuries that took place in the car or it was flooded and raw sewerage was present or the car was in a mudslide or hit a cement truck. You can't tell everything from a video so I really don't see it as a big deal.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I haven't seen a detailer (using the word loosely) do that for years. It actually used to be somewhat of a standard practice back in the 70's and 80's mostly for resale cars, not retail details. It used to cause the cushions to bleed through and problems with the headliners but they really didn't care. As Waxman suggests in today's vehicles it could cause some serious damage to the electronics and interior.

MEP001

Reaction score
Waxman said:
Lots of old school car cleaners would do cars like that to prep for auction.
I used to manage a wash just around the corner from an auto auction. A group of guys would bring several cars that they just bought through after every weekly auction and just open the doors to blow all the garbage and stuff all over the bays and lot.

rph9168 said:
I haven't seen a detailer (using the word loosely) do that for years.
I used to see guys doing that at a wash where they rented space, about five years ago. To clean the engine they'd raise the hood and run it through the D&S 5000 automatic. It did a pretty effective job, but I doubt 46 GPM at 1200 PSI blasting over the engine was a good idea.

buda

Reaction score
"That's the way we've always done it!"

Using a pressure washer on the interior was a common practice for used cars in the 40' and 50's. in those days most cars had rubber mats, not carpet and plastic seats.
There were not electronics so no problems.

However when carpets were added, fancy cloth interiors, and electronics you have a problem.

But because far too many Detailers operate on the philosophy of, "that's the way we've always done it," they keep doing the same thing.

To show you how crazy this is in the Middle East they remove the seats and carpet shells and the seats. Pressure wash the interior then pressure wash the carpet shell, the seats and let them dry in the desert sun.

When I asked why they detailed like this I got a "that's the way we were taught and that's the way we've always done it."

When I asked about the electronics on the interior & on the seats I got a blank stare. These fellows were imported labor and were taught by those before them. The blame rests with management who pays no attention to what is done and how it is done, and probably don't know either.

That is typical in USA dealerships and carwashes with detail operations. No training, no supervision.

But Detailersare not free from sin either. Far too many Detailers refuse to embrace new technology. I recall back in the early 80's most refused to embrace the velcro backer plates and pads preferring to keep using the bolt on pads. Then came the foam pads and detailers again saying they have always used wool pads.

Ask a Detailer who does not have an extractor why they don't have one and they say, "don't need it." And they launch into a long dissertation why they aren't needed.

It is comfortable for all of us to keep doing what we have always done, but to grow we have to embrace change and new technology even if we can't afford it.

Last edited: