What's new

Engine Detailing

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I have been getting a lot of calls lately with customers wanting their engine detailed, not just degreased, but detailed.

I want to give the most value for the price, but I have seem to hit a wall when I compare the time required to the cost to the customer.

Does anyone have any solutions as to how I can detail an engine quicker without sacraficing quality?

Thanks in advance.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
With all the expensive computer elements and other electronics I don't think I would want to do the job fast an easy. I would suggest to take the time necessary to do it right and charge accordingly and pass on the quick job. The risk of a cheap, fast engine detail and damaging something is pretty high.

jfmoran

Reaction score
Are these show cars? If not, why the heck do they want the engine compartment detailed? I would dig deeper with these customers to find out exactly what they are looking for. And I agree with the earlier statement that you charge what you need to charge for the time and effort expended. If they don't want to pay it, then so be it. A quick engine degrease can be costly if done wrong, on the low end new plugs and rotor cap, on the high end major electrical problems. You can drop a grand real easy. I know 'cause I've done it

Jeff_L

Reaction score
jfmoran - are you saying spraying oven cleaner on your engine is a bad idea? :)

I have a customer who does that on a regular basis. Just baffles me.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
Gone are the old days . As a kid my father worked at a place that also detailed cars, before the car auction. they degreased them with steam cleaning they called it. V. hot water and high pressure. Then got out the orange or blue paint and painted them--- way too easy, but looked great. Today i drive a Nissan altima hybrid, and super careful to clean the dust off the motor because of the hybrid computers. Even a careful person can get into trouble fast.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What about a waiver for a customer to sign to receive and engine detail?

Or a 'standard protocol' for detailing an engine compartment that the customer reads then signs stating they read and understood that you would be spraying the engine bay with hp water and degreaser and not 'dry cleaning' it in any way, for lack of a better term; would that idea work?

pitzerwm

Reaction score
I'd suggest that you contact a car dealership/big city detailer and find out from them, what and where you can screw something up. If you do try to put something for them to sign, I'd put it in double size font.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I have heard of times the waiver did not hold up in court when a customer claimed negligence on the part of the detailer. I have also seen customers cancel an entire detail when asked to sign a waiver. I would not even list engine cleaning on a menu. Not only are they difficult to do if done correctly the risk of a costly repair outweighs what you are able to charge. If a customer is interested they will ask and you can then take a look at what the job requires and quote accordingly.

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
$100... and Up without hesitation!

I agree with Ron and John. If you want to do the job, then price them as you see them because all engine jobs are not the same.

Listen to what the customer really wants, examine the engine, and give a fair estimate that covers your risks. It makes sense to offer a few options, escalating $$$ up as the risks increase. Today, cleaning an engine should start at no less than $100 and go up as needed. Chemicals should be able to do most, if not all the work.

This discussion takes me back to when detailers routinely used steam guns to clean floor mats, door jambs, hinges and engines. That's when engines simply had carburetors and few, if any, electronics. Steam guns blanched plenty of paint jobs and were responsible for many painful burns. But, they sure did clean things up.

buda

Reaction score
Engine detail

when we operated our own detail centres and as we train the staff of our equipment system customers, we teach them to "detail" the engine.

We pressure wash the engine and engine compartment with water first.
Then apply engine degreaser, a high pH cleaner with caustics (careful to avoid applying to aluminum head covers as they will stain)
Use an engine "wash mit" and brushes to clean the engine and compartment starting with the underside of the hood if there is no insulation piece installed.
The engine is then rinsed; inspected and any dirt/soil missed is removed.
The engine is then sprayed with a water-based dressing and allowed to dry

With this process we have a perfectly clean, shiny and detailed engine and engine compartment. For this service at the retail level we charged $50 to $75, if they did not want to pay that price they could either go to a back alley detailer or the self service car wash.

On our Sales & Service Invoice we had a disclaimer (that they acknowledged) when signing the Invoice). Never had anyone refuse to sign and never had any problems with the customers or the engines.

As an aside, had occasion to spend an afternoon with a German Mercedes Benz service technician who was assigned to a dealer in the Middle East and asked him about steam cleaning engines in a MB and the dangers of doing so.

In a typical Prussian way, he laughed at the question and said, "Mr Abraham, do you think we seal the bottom of the engine compartment? We have snow and rain in Germany and the engine gets a great deal of moisture from the bottom up. If the parts that are to be water-proof in the engine are in tack there is no problem steam cleaning an engine." And, he laughed again.

That is why I purchase American cars.

Regards

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Buda;

That is how my shop does it.

We charge less than you listed when combined with a complete detail, but the same or more when performed a la carte.

buda

Reaction score
Engine detailing

Would agree, we included an engine clean as part of the full detail package at what would be a lesser price than the $50 or $75, but as an individual service if was at "full price."

Keep in mind that there is really no other place for someone who wants their engine cleaned to get it done, other than doing it themselves at a self service car wash.

Gas stations don't do it; mechanics don't do it; dealers do not do it nor do body shops so where else are they doing to get it done?

This is a service where the demand out-weighs the supply. Charge for it, considering as well the exposure you have too.

Regards