What's new

Drive Motor or Gear Box? Humm coming from left side drive train.

Buzzie8

Reaction score
Today my wash shut down twice. The gantry is in the middle of the track and the I have a drive motor run too long error in the ECC. After I reset the wash it moves to the home position (but doesn't stop until it slams into the back of the track which I believe is separate problem with the home prox). I run the gantry up and down the track and every thing works OK. I wash my car and everything works OK but I do notice I higher pitch humm from the left side drive train. Later in the day it happens again. I am not sure if it is the motor or the gear box or both that the humm is coming from. I have an extra gear box but not an extra motor. Not sure how to troubleshoot the humm especially without any help. Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.

dclark3344

Reaction score
Buzzie,
I have been replacing my motors with a Leeson Stainless Steel one that works just fine. It is cheaper and has a better housing. I would just seperate the motor (after I get a spare) and then you can see if the gear box moves with turning the coupling: if it does then replace the motor. I like to lift my gantry up a little and see if both motors are turning the drive wheels If you have a gear box out on the opposite side it would be over loading the working drive wheel and would look like that is your problem side when the real problem is the opposite side is not driving at all. Have a Prosperous New Year.

Buzzie8

Reaction score
Thanks Dave, I am curious how you lift your gantry. My distributor told me to do this the last time I replaced a motor and I had a difficult time doing it (by myself). I was considering getting a blow up pillow jack but they are pretty expensive.

ratfink102

Reaction score
Today my wash shut down twice. The gantry is in the middle of the track and the I have a drive motor run too long error in the ECC. After I reset the wash it moves to the home position (but doesn't stop until it slams into the back of the track which I believe is separate problem with the home prox). I run the gantry up and down the track and every thing works OK. I wash my car and everything works OK but I do notice I higher pitch humm from the left side drive train. Later in the day it happens again. I am not sure if it is the motor or the gear box or both that the humm is coming from. I have an extra gear box but not an extra motor. Not sure how to troubleshoot the humm especially without any help. Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.
When this happened to me I noticed that the gantry would only stop in the middle on a slow pass and I found a wear spot in the track where it would stop.In high it would just jump that spot. I had to build up the drive wheels and cut them back down to specs and weld up the track and grind it down.haven't had a problem since.

Buzzie8

Reaction score
It was the drive motor. Picked up a cross referenced wash down motor at the local Baldor dealer for $325 and I am up and running!

Reaction score
jacks

Bought a 10 ton short short body ram from harbor freight and a porta power to jack up the gantry. Worked perfectly for both trouble shooting and replacing motor. Spent $129 for both but well worth it for not busting up your knuckles.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95979
I have run my gantry up on a sloped board and seem to work ok but I am going to order a jack like you suggested, how tall is it? My gantry only sits about 2-3 " above the floor.

Buzzie8

Reaction score
I have run my gantry up on a sloped board and seem to work ok but I am going to order a jack like you suggested, how tall is it? My gantry only sits about 2-3 " above the floor.
I am not sure how large the block is but I know it will fit under the gantry easily. Use a 2x4 and or a 1x4 becuase the block only raises it a couple inches. It takes about 30 seconds and gives you plenty of room without busting your knuckles.