What's new

Dont Get Screwed by the Phone Company

Etowah

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
I am building a new wash and needed phone / internet service installed. I called the phone company (rhymes with horizon) and told them I wanted the same service as my first location has, 1 Phone line and DSL. They said that they didnt know if they had DSL in that area, and wouldnt know until they installed the line and tested the signal (very hard to believe).

2 weeks go by, they installed the service and I didnt find a modem on site when I stopped by to check on things. So I called their customer service group and asked "whats up?" She told me that it turns out they didnt have DSL in that area, so they just went ahead and installed 2 phone lines. I told her that was unacceptable and that I needed the high speed internet connection for credit card clearing. She said "well I'm sorry, but you now have 2 phone lines." I said that I would now have to contact Time Warner and have Roadrunner installed and probably would have their digital phone service as well.

She then proceeded to tell me that I had signed a 24 month contract with them and that they would charge me ~$400 to cancel the deal if I went with Time Warner. I tried to convince her that the "deal" was for phone and internet and that they were unable to deliver the product. She would hear nothing of it and when I asked for a manager, she said none were available or able to override their policy.

I called Time Warner, their combined RoadRunner & Digital phone service was cheaper by $40 a month over the phone company. So I now have digital phone and Roadrunner service at my wash. I pay a combined monthly amount of ~$500 to the phone company for my other business phone lines. If they persist with this cancellation fee, I'll switch all of my business to T.W.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
BS, tell them to rip the phone lines out, that you will see them in court. They won't take you to court, if they turn you over to collection tell the collection agency to take you on. Call the utilities commission in your state. I've been here before. They couldn't deliver what you ask for. You will win. But I doubt once you talk to a Verizon exec, just keep working your way up the chain, they will drop it.

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
Bill,

Now that we are up and running with TWC, I am going to take great joy in ripping out the cable and network box that the phone company left behind. I mentioned to their customer service people that I will switch over my other business lines to TWC and she said that "threats" like that are ineffective and do not change the fact that I signed a contract and they will hold me to it.

Kind of people like that make you want to reach right through the phone line and grab them by the neck!

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I had a similar problem with ATT. They could not deliver what the salesperson promised. Even the tech that did the installation said I was misled. After a few months they gave up and reversed the charges but not until after a few frustrating phone calls. I believe they finally realized that since they could not provide what the contract stated they had little chance of collecting.

robtl

central Ky
Reaction score
BS, tell them to rip the phone lines out, that you will see them in court. They won't take you to court, if they turn you over to collection tell the collection agency to take you on. Call the utilities commission in your state. I've been here before. They couldn't deliver what you ask for. You will win. But I doubt once you talk to a Verizon exec, just keep working your way up the chain, they will drop it.
What they will do is ignore you for about 6 months then bill you then turn over to collection and then give a bad credit report.....This is from a personal experience with the same bunch of jerks!

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I agree. Make sure you resolve the issue. Don't just let it ride.

motefam

ss/iba midwest
Reaction score
same story...

I had similar problems with my phone company (it rhymed with "Verizon"). The cable company brought service to my area and I finally switched to them...for half the price and better service...found out I'd been paying unnecessary add-on fees for years.

Red Baron

Reaction score
I went round and round with ATT when I bought another wash and needed the phone service put in my name. They wanted my SS# to do a credit check - I'm kinda stingy about handing out my SS# number willy nilly, and needless credit checks can harm your FICO score, so I refused. I told her I'd give her the first 5 digits over the phone, and the last 4 via e-mail fax or from a landline if she absolutely had to have it. I reminded the lady that I already have ATT service at another location and they can check my payment history there, and they probably still have my SS# on file from when I opened that account. There was no reasoning with that idiot! When someone goes stupid like that, I can get a little irrirtated after 20 minutes on hold + another 15 minutes of wasted time arguing over stuff she doesn't need but demanded anyway...what ensued was a battle of insults, of which I seldom lose. :) After things calmed down, the dimwit's supervisor told me "Cindy is pretty tough, you're the first person I've ever seen make her cry." Oh well, treat people with respect and that won't happen.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Thank God, that the phone company doesn't have the monopoly that they use to have.

Chiefs

Reaction score
Thank God, that the phone company doesn't have the monopoly that they use to have.
Yeah, now we only have to find an alternative for the federal government. Hey, here's an idea, lets fire all 535 Congressman and Senators and replace them with 535 people chosen randomly out of the phone book. Hell, they couldn't do any worse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lighthousecarwash

Reaction score
I've said for years that we should select the President that way....just like jury duty. Every 4 years someone gets a letter in the mail!