What's new

Doing Away with Shear Pin in Laserwash M5

bigleo48

Reaction score
All,

So every now and again, the arch shear pin breaks on the M5. It never seems to be impact related, but just breaks on its own after a continuous HP rinse kick back. We have made adjustments to the arch to minimize the kickback, but eventually it breaks anyway.

So I'm looking for solutions and ideas.

1-replacing the shear pin every month during preventative maintenance routines, regardless of condition.

2-Doing away with it altogether. and installing a solid bolt.

3-Coming up with some kind of resetable knuckle (likely difficult to do).

What do you guys think?

madscientist

Reaction score
In my opinion #1 is the best option, but every month is a bit excessive. Somewhere between 3 and 6 months is when I do it, but it's purely by memory so I can't pinpoint it for you. Keep in mind that Feb-April is 3 months but not equal in our world to Sept-Nov which is also 3 months.

You could also do just before notable holidays each year. Thanksgiving/Christmas, Spring Break, Memorial Day, Labor Day.

MEP001

Reaction score
bigleo48 said:
3-Coming up with some kind of resetable knuckle (likely difficult to do).
The Vector uses that. It might be adaptable to the Laser arm. It sometimes hooks towing mirrors on trucks and has never done any damage to the vehicles.

DavidM

Reaction score
I have been having the same debate.
I am leaning towards removing the shear pin and replacing with a bolt. For option 1, it would have to be replaced monthly, we have had several failures in the 6-8 week range.

In 10+ years I don't know of a situation where the shear pin was needed and served its
purpose. I think it would require more effort and expense than it is worth to retrofit a Vector style breakaway.

Do you get shear pins from PDQ or Kleen-Rite? We thought maybe Kleen-Rite's failed more quickly so ordered some from PDQ. I know one batch from Kleen-Rite seemed to fail exceptionally fast (less than a month).

David

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I replaced mine with a low grade bolt. No problems since.

I never had a shear bolt shear on an impact and have had some impact situations happen.

I grease mine up real good and install the bolt in place of shear bolt.

Mine would break at random intervals and pin the wash arm in a flipped-up position against my bay wall, etc. I found this to be more troublesome than an impact.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I replaced mine with a low grade bolt. No problems since.

I never had a shear bolt shear on an impact and have had some impact situations happen.

I grease mine up real good and install the bolt in place of shear bolt.

Mine would break at random intervals and pin the wash arm in a flipped-up position against my bay wall, etc. I found this to be more troublesome than an impact.
p.s. The poster formerly known as Galen (now in the wine biz) used to make his own shear bolts, which I assume were stronger than regular commercially available shear bolts. He was a pretty smart guy regarding the washes.:cool:

ProCarWashes

Reaction score
Sheer bolt

Yep, I change to a solid Stainless Steel bolt many years ago. Never looked back. Have had zero issues. Like to say hi to all my old friends on here and wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Yes I am making wine now days. I'm laying the ground work for life after carwashing. I did many things in my life, and life is a journey. I really enjoy what I am doing now. We just got done hosting Brad Daniels company christmas party. (Windtrax) It was a blast. You can check us out on the net if you like. I don't know if I can say what the company is but I will and if Bill has a problem with that he will know what to do. www.ladogaridgewinery.com And yes I'm still car washing. Been pretty slow here. No freaking snow yet. Another tidbit, in 26 years of car washing I have yet to turn on my floor heat YET! I always turn it on by Nov. 1. But I can still squeeze the turd out of a buffalo nickel.

Bud

NE Ohio
Reaction score
Change the sheer pin every couple months. About the time you use a solid bolt someone will drive out of the wash..........with the arch in front of them or back up into it. Have you priced the replacement arches lately?

bigleo48

Reaction score
Change the sheer pin every couple months. About the time you use a solid bolt someone will drive out of the wash..........with the arch in front of them or back up into it. Have you priced the replacement arches lately?
With arch wear, the HP kick slowly breaks the pin. So we would need to replace it ever week or so. We did a few mods to try and relieve the kick, but in the end the arch will need replacing.

The low quality bolt does actually break if pushed too far.

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
I remember Galen debating this same issue years ago on here. It's nice to hear from him, and know that he is doing well. We change out our shear bolts once a month in the winter, and once every other month in the summer. It's never an impact that breaks them, but the constant torqueing (sp?) of the arch under HP. I think we pay around $6.00 a piece through our distributor.