What's new

Dog wash question

bigleo48

Reaction score
MJ.

Your website solution is likely really easy. Most surveillance camera systems that we use have the ability to create jpgs (pictures) and upload them automatically (via FTP) on a predetermined basis (like every minute or so). You then take that picture location and embed it within your webpage. People just need to reload the webpage to get the latest picture. I am currently doing this now, but just so I can quickly peek at the wash from my Blackberry...so it's not public. The only issue is bandwidth...however when setting this thing up, you can make the JPG as low resolution as possible (like 10%) and so the picture is like 3 to 5K...very small, grainy, but for what your using it for will do and you can adjust as needed.

Hope that helps...Big

bigleo48

Reaction score
Gator,

First, I never used a pump, my water pressure is 80 PSI (you may need a booster) and I use the metering manifold blocks (kleenrite part # SK2X911VM5).

Hot water...not sure what you are using, but getting the hot water to the nozzle quickly is important. I have tankless water heaters that guaranty none stop hot water for those really busy days (see http://www.krb.co.kr/english/products/gas_boiler/world3000/feature.php ). My tankless heaters actually do have small tanks in them and I use this device http://www.grundfos.com/web/HomeUs.nsf/Webopslag/PAVA-56TMVA to get the hot water instantly at the nozzle. With regular tankless water heaters, you cannot do this as there isn't enough flow to trigger the heater, but you can use this if you have plain old tank heaters.

I also use these boilers for the floor heat as they do both hydronics and domestic hot water in one boiler!.

Hope this helps...Big

bigleo48

Reaction score
MJ,

I was thinking about this a little more and you can put timers in the webpage that give it a lifespan (say like 30 seconds) and it would reload the page automatically so the customer would not need to refresh.

All in all an interesting concept that I hadn't thought about and considering myself.
Big

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Gator,

This is how we are doing the recommended 90 degree water. Not all PLC programmers are proficient at PID loops so be cautious.

One way to get really precise water temperature is to use a PID loop within a PLC with a 3 way valve. We happen to be using a 1" stainless steel Belimo 3 way valve with a Belimo operator. My programmer would have preferred a faster responding 3 way valve. You have to pay attention to keeping the RTD sensors as close to the valve inputs & outputs as possible & use check valves properly so there is no improper water circulating giving improper scan readings. We learned the hard way having to repipe some. If we would have had a freeze alarm we also would have avoided frozen pipe re-dos twice during the development stage.

So far our water temps are as perfect as we know possible.

I came real close to doing an elaborate pump with chemical injector system but thanks to Big Leo & Trent from Nat'l Pride I avoided that mistake. We tested both systems before totally committing. We also decided against Dosatrons & we appreciate the honesty of potential future maintenance from some of those particular technology people.

So far every person or group of people that have tried out our dog wash likes it so we are clinging to that ---- we know that is key. With the weather so cold (below zero) & snowy here people seem to be more in survival mode so our volume has not been what is needed yet. We just opened about the middle of November of 2009 ---- around Veteran's Day.

We also recalibrated all our chemicals to a higher water volume within a week of opening as the distributors' recommended flow was not good enough for our North Dakota golden retrievers & other shaggy dogs. It has been optimized ever since.

Gabriel

Reaction score
You guys are definitely on top of the game. I have talked with dozens of operators and a few manufacturers. No one gives the genuine thorough information that you have provided. This is like being introduced to home cooking for the first time--nothing beats it. I am working on the package and with your input, assistance, and help it does look "doable" and hopefully profitable. I like those high side walls, constant heat, clean environment, no pumps, quality service which should definitely build customer confidence and I love the way that each of you has worked to make it as simple as possible and produce the best that you can possibly create. Lots of places are pretty good, some not so good, and you each seem to have given the serious thought and effort to make it really attractive. I love the concept, love my Boxers and would love to supply a genuinely, pleasing wash for my customers to bring their pets. I see it as a great community relation project and great community service concept. I know for sure that I would go to your locations without question and feel both confident and comfortable using your Wash. What a great education. Thanks again. rlm

bigleo48

Reaction score
No sweat Gator...many of you guys have helped me out a lot too.

MJ, I think you may be over complicating the water temp thing. I just have a mixing valve I adjust twice a year...seems to work fine, but that could be because the temp of our water supply doesn't change that much. Perhaps also because the tankless water heaters have temp valves that modulate to keep a constant temp.

Big

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Big,

We have 2 shower grade Symmons tempering valves plumbed in parallel (for backup purposes) with the proper engineered spec'd recirculation line serving our car wash. Before that we had a less accurate Watts Tempering (mixing) valve. I agree it hinges a lot on pressure & temp fluctuations coming in.

My thoughts were that the dog wash temps would be less forgiving than the car wash temps from the dog owner's point of view etc.

Long term wise I guess we will eventually find out. So far --- so good --- other than the extra effort of setting it up. I did buy a spare valve & actuator for the Belimo porportioning valve as a precaution along with spare IO modules & a spare PLC. I have had a 3 way Belimo on our boiler for over 5 years that replaced a Johnsen Controls 3 way & it has worked out really good & that had a bearing on our decision also.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Mustang,

I am going to need a little time on that I have some urgent things to focus in on. I tried to post pics a few weeks ago & Bill's jpeg size threw me for a loop. There is a site that I registered for a few years ago but I forgot the details of it. For now hopefully you & others can get by with the link to a local TV KFYR station's footage that I previously posted & you should be able to pause the video & see pics that way. That link is in one of my recent posts on the pet wash forum & I believe I posted it more than once. Snowcheck or raincheck is needed for now.

MJ