What's new

Do corporate owned gas stations with touchless wash not clean as well?

bcwang

Reaction score
I'm just wondering if IBA touchless machines on corporate owned gas stations spend as much effort trying to tweak chemicals and settings to get a clean car as an independent owner trying.

I know many of you here spend lots of time at your touchless car wash trying to tweak things to get a good wash to bring customers in. The time spent would sound like it's a passion or hobby to have a good car wash. And many of you think you can get most cars clean with the right settings.

However, I'm thinking the corporation would probably just hire someone to install it, then simply have the distributor set it up, then they just run it. I'm thinking of a car wash connected to a Chevron or Shell station which is what I used.

I went to get 3 touchless washes at 3 different gas stations in the past month, and they all performed horribly in terms of getting the car clean. 2 were laserwash 4000, and one was an older Mark VII Aquajet. I'm hoping it's simply these corporate owned car washes are just not well tuned compared to an independent car wash with a owner who really cares about getting the car clean. Otherwise my perception of touchless is really going down hill.

The cars were not even that dirty to begin with. One car was washed and waxed just 2 weeks ago. It stayed clean until a light rain in the area gave it some dust+water spots on it. Waited 3 days until the rain stopped, and took it to the touchless. The whole car you could still see was dirty. I had to go do a hand wash myself after I got home. If I couldn't even get that car clean, I have no idea what a touchless can clean except possibly a layer of non-bonded dust.

Opinions please.

PS - If any of you own or know of what you think is an excellent performing touchless machine in or around San Jose, CA, please let me know so I can give it a try.

mac

Reaction score
You have discovered what most here already know, and why you can compete with a corporate wash. Most of those places have someone come by once or twice a month to do a routine inspection. Owner operators are usually there every day to insure it's working right. Machine brand doesn't matter.

MikeV

Reaction score
I have several customers who own/operate branded gas stations who are of...shall we say ...oriental or middle eastern persuasion. They are notorious for trying to save money by cutting chemicals, neglecting maintenance and like that. As a result, their car washes do not perform as well as privately owned systems. Doesn't matter what brand the car wash is.

Reaction score
I hate to have to agree

when working for a distributor that had a contract with corporate Mobil we did our best to insure a good wash. Monthly preventative maintenance and bi weekly chemical titration, but sometimes you tell the manager you need to replace x,y,z because something isn't working properly manager calls gen manager and asks us how much, I call the shop give them a quote they politely ask " will it run like it is now"? if yes leave it.

never wanted to spend the cash to keep a good product but demanded excellence at all times.
so can a corporate car wash be an excellent wash, sure.
will they ever all be as good as they could be , I doubt it. too much greed.

Made it real hard to feel for them when they broke down on a cold dry Sat am
right after a snow storm usually for something dumb like a shear pin, or they reset the wash incorrectly, Crying about down time and lost money. But tell them they need membranes for the RO and the manger looks and says I just washed my car it looks ok, leave it be.
and come to think of it Hardest people to collect a check from. Go figure.

There problem was as a company they would gladly "Step over dollar bills to pick up dimes"

Just like the guy in the self serve washing his Jaguar with weep and dipping the foam brush in a dirty puddle, I've seen it with my own eyes. sure the paint is getting scratched but it was free (as he smiles to himself contently)

Last edited:

schmj4910

Reaction score
I've found that most company-owned gas stations/convenience stores don't have the knowledge or the experience necessary to run a good carwash, and most of them don't really want to.

When I used to work for one of the largest convenience store chains in the U.S., we left it up to the distributors to keep the washes up and running - most of our store managers and higher didn't have a clue about anything - they built the carwashes as an added service to customers to drive cashflow through increased gallons and inside sales - they didn't really expect to make a profit on the actual carwash itself.

There are a few smaller and regional chains, however, that do it right. But they're very few and far between.

Etowah