What's new

Disclaimer at the entrance of the wash?

JustClean

Reaction score
Hi guys
do you have any disclaimers at the entrance to your wash? For example, to watch your kids, dogs, traffic rules, damage, or whatever? Somehow I feel I need to do something in case some idiot gets some strange ideas and wants to sue me...Any input appreciated.
Thanks. Cheers Justclean.

lighthousecarwash

Reaction score
The sign would be larger than my entire building to cover what all the idiots could do.

Lighthouse.

Reds

Reaction score
IBA entry arch: "High Pressure Air & Water. We are not responsible for factory or aftermarket accessories" I'm trying to cover bugshields and other glued on stuff. "Wheel Guiderails are 82" Wide. Drive in the middle of the bay. We are not responsible for Wheels, Tires, Trim, or Mirrors" - trying to cover the idiots who jump the guiderail and then blame me for wheel or trim damage.
SS bays: "This facility provides Waxes, Chemicals, and high pressure water. Use at your own risk" I also have the standard warnings that come with Jim Coleman equipment.
Of course customers don't read them. But it sure is an eye opener when they claim that "your machine broke my bug shield" Or (SS) "your machine took the paint off of my car".

pitzerwm

Reaction score
In light of the fact that few people will read your signs, if they are a decent size, they will save your butt in court.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
In working with attorneys on legal cases involving work place injuries, wrongful death (in-bay), etc. I had several interesting conversations.

Generally, the attorneys believed that regardless of signage, a business owner would be responsible for vehicle damage that can be attributed to a fault regarding carwash equipment, processes and standard operating procedures. In other words, a disclaimer sign does not necessarily abstain an owner from liability.

Besides, why would you want to give a customer another reason not to come to your facility?

pitzerwm

Reaction score
IMO of course, if your equipment operates as designed, you would not be liable, if you had good sign-age. Any attorney can BS a dumb jury into anything, i.e. OJ

If the choice is signs or no signs, I'm putting up the signs. For the stuff not involving loss of life or limb, no attorney is going to take the case, so its you and them and your have your sign.

Reds

Reaction score
"In other words, a disclaimer sign does not necessarily abstain an owner from liability." If your equipment is faulty I would agree that you are at fault and there is no argueing about it. But from what I have seen 99.9% of the problems at an touchfree IBA are the result of customer ignorance and/or stupidity. That's when the signs come into play.

JustClean

Reaction score
"In other words, a disclaimer sign does not necessarily abstain an owner from liability." If your equipment is faulty I would agree that you are at fault and there is no argueing about it. But from what I have seen 99.9% of the problems at an touchfree IBA are the result of customer ignorance and/or stupidity. That's when the signs come into play.
Yes, just to be on the safe side of it in case something happens. I have seen people jumping out of the car while the machine is running to push down their antenna, dogs (not on a leash) almost being hit by a car on my property and so on. 95% are good customers - if you belong to the 5% go away! That sign would help :)
No, I only wanted to get some ideas together incase I forgot something important.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Please have Money ready, for faster service.
Instructions
☺ NEUTRAL
☺ NO BRAKES
☺ ANTENNA DOWN
☺ DON’T STEER
☺ MOTOR ON

CUSTOMER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR:
☹. NON-LOWERED ANTENNAS,
☹ LOOSE CHROME, MOLDINGS,
☹ NON-FACTORY INSTALLED PARTS,
☹ RUSTED, DAMAGED, & DEFECTIVE ITEMS.

We are not responsible for negligent driving of others.

Thank You
Come back soon!

Note affirmative wording as to what customer is responsible for as opposed to what we are not responsible for. The last line about driving of others stems from customers being bumped by another customer and trying to balme us.

Hard to see from post but "Bullet Points" are smiley face for instructions and frowny face for what customer is responsible for.